HybridZ

Relocating the door handle

Guest 2adz

As most of you have probably experienced is the dreaded "lift the Z door handle and it breaks off" problem. The handles are made of pot metal and as long as I have owned Z's they have always had this problem. I was considering fabricating in a different unit altogether. One option I was thinking of is to shave the current handle and install a handle from a Geo Storm which is located at the end of the door and accessed by an indention in the quarter panel. Has anyone tried this before? Has anyone replaced the factory handles with something more stable? I would like to hear some ideas or see some examples.

Guest Anonymous

I installed a set of door handles from a 92 Prelude with power locks. The owner really liked them and I made 200bucks so I guess I liked them too. I plan to shave mine altogether and have the auto open doors.

Guest Anonymous

Sorry, no pics of that swap, mainly because I wasn't too impressed with the look. If the handles had been flush with the door I might have been inclined to take pics. I would go with the Geo idea, but I think you are going to find a good bit of work involved unless you have skills like Terry.

Guest Anonymous

Owen, I'm sure you can find someone around your area that can help you out. Just about everything I have learned to do on cars has been self taught. I was fortunate enough to have been taught the basics about sheetmetal and fiberglass fabrication in the Air Force but that is only a starting point. I have gone to a couple of custom car builders in my area and asked how to do things in my garage without alot of expensive tools(A jigsaw is priceless)and most of the time the shop owners are very helpful. Don't let your lack of knowledge stop you from trying especially if you really want to learn how to do it. there are a couple of books that are very helpful to me and you can get them at the local autoparts shop. You might want to pick up the Sheetmetal fabricators handbook and the Metal fabricators handbook, both of these have given me a ton of info.