HybridZ

Ferrari Doors?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Just got an idea from the suicide doors thread. What about doors that open up, like on some ferrari's? I cant thing of the exact models, but im sure yopu all know what i'm talkin about.

Guest Locutus

I think the kind of doors you are talking about are on the Lamborghini Countach. I admit they would look awesome on a Z but I would have no idea about how to do something like that. That is way beyond my fabrication skills. Gullwing doors sound really kewl too but they require such a wide berth to open up, not good in the Walmart parking lot in a tight space.

Guest Anonymous

I didnt mean gull wings, i meant the ones that tilt foreward and up. But gullwings are possible, i saw a Z with them at a local car show. It looked pretty cool.

Guest Anonymous

Yes, those are the doors i was thinking of. Must have had a brain fart or something. Thanx guys. By the way, if anyone knows where to get a kit for those, please post here. Thanx bonk.gif

Guest Anonymous

The doors used on Lamborghinis and the Bugatti EB110 are usually referred to as "scissor doors". Now, all the Countach and Diablo kits utilize this type of door, of course, and it strikes me as being difficult to do on a car that isn't designed for it.

First of all, the door must be shaped so that it would allow the upward swinging motion. Secondly, the top egde of the door (or windowglass on more modern cars) must be free to move upwards (no roof overlap or rain gutters).

The two solutions I've seen are (1) the door pops out enough to clear the body, then swings up, or (2) the doors swing forward AND up like many Le Mans racers. The former is kinda cheesy, I think; the latter has the same clearance problem that gullwings have.

Hope I'm not bursting anyone's bubble here, that's not my intent.