HybridZ

Idle Leaning out after ~1 minute

jacob80

Hey guys,

Well I just got my car tuned a little bit but now I'm having a little trouble with the idle. After the car is warm and I have driven around a while, and I idle for about a minute, everything is fine. After that, the idle starts to become very lean and runs rough. Any ideas of what this could be? My fuel pressure is good, and the car pulls good vacuum so I wouldn't think there is an intake leak, but maybe I'm missing something obvious here. MSnS with stock turbo distributor, L28ET.

Edited by jacob80

Are you saying that you have the car warmed up and then you shut if off and restart which leads to a minute of idling OK then going lean? During this time you need to make a log so we can see what is happening. Then we can rule out for sure ASE and WUE and see what the real culprit could be.

Update:

I've discovered there has been an overload in my fuel pump/coil circuit. Let me describe my problem in more detail:

I start the car, let it warm up, drive around and when I come to a stop and let the car idle for more than ~1-2 minutes, it starts to climb lean and the idle AFRs are very inconsistent and it starts to run rough.

Later that night, my car quit on my and I discovered that terminal 5 was melted and desoldered itself from my relay board, therefor disabled fuel and spark.

280zxt_relay_wiring.gif

Towed it home and discovered that the end that plugs into my dizzy cap was melted; the metal end was no longer part of the wire as a whole:

102_8860.jpg

102_8863.jpg

102_8858.jpg

I checked my fuel pump wiring and all looks well. Matt Cramer stated that the relay terminal block terminals are rated at 10 amps, so the circuit was overloaded somewhere. The odd thing about this was the the 10 amp fuse on the coil + side was not blown, and it is part of the circuit. I'm thinking that somewhere, the circuit is contacting another wire that is pulling more amperage maybe? How did my coil wire get melted, yet the 10 amp fuse on the positive post of the coil not blow?

I did that my IAT and TPS wiring contacted the exhaust manifold and melted my loom and the wires a little bit, but it doesn't appear that my fuel pump/coil circuitry was affected. Is this a factor I should consider?

Thanks for your help guys, I've already ordered a new terminal block and coil wire!

Edited by jacob80