HybridZ

GM pontiac v8? Need help identifying

I purchased another Z for parts, and sitting in the hatch area was a GM V8 that I believe is out of a pontiac. The lady I bought it from says what she was told " it's a 400 and it came out of a pace car." I'm just trying to get rid of it and looking for some information so I know how much to ask for.

post-1712-12741056931941_thumb.jpg

post-1712-12741057020363_thumb.jpg

post-1712-12741057109959_thumb.jpg

post-1712-12741057195951_thumb.jpg

I purchased another Z for parts, and sitting in the hatch area was a GM V8 that I believe is out of a pontiac. The lady I bought it from says what she was told " it's a 400 and it came out of a pace car." I'm just trying to get rid of it and looking for some information so I know how much to ask for.

This engine is a 301 cubic inch Pontiac made October 9, 1979. I was able to identify it from the casting number and the oil filter location. The oil filter is located on the side of the block screwing in perpendicular to the block. This is the only block Pontiac made with this oil filter location. It was made to compete with the chevy 305 and other engines of similar cubic inch. Some were equipped with a turbo beginning in 1980 I believe. It is only one of the two "short decks" Pontiac made with the other being a 265.

As for worth, you could get a decent price to a Pontiac purist as parts for these engines are hard to come buy due to short production and null aftermarket. Now that you know its a 301 and made late of 79, there is a possibility that this could be a turbo motor which may add some value to someone.

I would suggest finding a Pontiac forum like thirdgen.com or something like that and posting a for sale or search there to see what these engines are bringing.

This is helpful as a guide with gm identification: www.gmcastings.com

I say it is a guide because like any website like that, some information may be inaccurate, but there is usually enough to help narrow down engines.

Edited by dustin280zx