HybridZ

First attempt at starting

evil_datto

My first attempts to fire the engine today and some issues. I recorded a datalog while attempting to start it and noticed a few things.

Firstly, there was no RPM signal in from the CAS. Secondly, the engine bit 'Running' was =Y the whole time, even before attempting to start it & after.

That probably explains why my gauges in MegaTune for Dwell & Pulse Width were always showing 2.9 & 12 respectively regardless of running or cranking. I assume it shouldn't be doing that.

So I guess my question is why was it saying it is always Running?

Here's the datalog.

first datalog.zip

I dont remeber exactly what where in MegaTuen/TunerStudio it is, but check your settings for cranking RPM's. You should have a max cranking RPM(I set mine to 450 RPM) and make sure it's not set at 0. You said there was no RPM signal? Check and see if your fuel pump relay is cutting on when you are cranking. This will tell you for sure if you are getting signal or not. If you are not getting signal, the pump wont turn on while cranking.

Can you give us some more specifics about your setup? What MS and other things about your setup.

Thanks, sorry forgot to mention my details, I've set it as my sig.

Yeah I have cranking RPM set to 350. Fuel pump primes for about 1-2 seconds after turning the key to ign which is also when the MS unit powers on.

I'm using the pulley mounted CAS, with IGN(input) wired to the CAS Green/Black wire, +12V from my main power relay, and a ground wire from the MS harness.

I have +12V and the IGN(output) going to the power transistor (which is now broken after I tried to clean it after my test fire run. Working on getting replacement.)

Injectors did not fire either as far as I could tell, had my finger on the injector to feel if the solenoid was clicking and couldn't smell any fuel in the chamber with spark plugs out.

Does the pullup resistor for the IGN input signal need to be connected to a separate +12V or can it be wired to the +12V to the CAS?

I will check and see if the fuel pump relay does come on during cranking or not.

Thanks, Scott.

I ran all new power wires for the CAS & Coil & Fuel Pump from a relay which also powers the MS, switched from key to Ign.

I'll take a closer look and check I haven't done something stupid with the wiring.

Thanks for the replies.

Just went out and checked the voltage of the coil & CAS, and both have power before starting & during cranking.

I just realized I should get power from the fuel pump for the coil. But anyway, so far I still can't see why MS still thought it was running when it's not?

I went out and hooked up my desktop computer next to my car, cause I wanted to use TunerStudio and see if I got any different results (TS doesn't work on the laptop I got in the car).

So when I had it all running, I was getting messed up values on the gauges in TunerStudio as if nothing was grounded or something e.g. RPM fluctuating 1-32,000. I think the only sensor that seemed to be showing a normal reading was the MAP sensor at about ~101kPa. I then turned the car off and back on again and still got the same results.

I then opened up MegaTune and it wouldn't connect at all. Testing the ports came up all failed. Then back again to TunerStudio and now it wouldn't connect there either.

This has me stumped at the moment, cause with the laptop all the readings looked normal, except that it thought it was running when it wasn't. Yet with TunerStudio on my desktop it was showing those crazy values. If RPM has been acting like that the whole time, it would probably explain why it thought it was running.

Any reason it would be acting like this?

Thanks, Scott.

I have the unit out of the car at the moment, and hooked up pin#28 & pin #18 to just power up the unit. Bootloader pins are jumpered. Trying to reload the code, but it's acting strange in that it will get anywhere from instantly fail, to almost finish writing/verifying before failing. Does this mean the MS unit is messed up?