HybridZ

LT1 w/AC in 280Z ?'s - brackets, etc.

I've looked but don't think I've seen anyone who has documented LT1 W/AC swap in an early Z....

I have an '82 Turbo that's currently getting the most out of stock injectors w/o rising rate fuel pressure regulator. It's a 5 speed and I loved it as long as I don't have to drive it in traffic much (hip probs).

I have '75 280 that I am currently reworking the suspension on, planning an LT1 swap. Drooling over Ross's stuff and will be contacting him next month when I can hide more money from the Mrs....

Will stock 'vette brackets work?

Any problems w/harmonic balancer/optical distributor and the front crossmember?

TIA for the input...

icon_smile.gif

Brad icon_smile.gif

I think JTR's TPI/TBI swapping manual would come handy in here. I have seen an LT1 swap last year at Dando's in Fremont--everything looked like it fit. I was not into LT1's at the time, so I couldn't tell if it had been modified from original, but I think it was all there. Measure, measure, measure.

Davy

I have already ordered it after reading the JTR manual on V-8 swap 'til I can just about quote everything verbatim.

I ordered the TPI manual jusat in case it may have something about LT1's (doubtful).

As I will be using an Accel/DFI computer system, don't know how much it will help.

Thanks for the input.

Guest super280z

brad,

hey dude, nice chioce for an engine swap! icon_biggrin.gif i've got just a few pointers for ya. remember that the LT1 is only a regular old 350 chevy! sure there's the reverse cooled heads and opti stuff but other than that everything else is exactly the same. you will have to buy some old style motor mounts but thats about it. do everything as per JTR or like me, however you want because the JTR book was about worthless IMO. (other than the cool pics icon_biggrin.gif ) but that ACCEL DFI is going to help you out greatly. im working on getting a copy of LT1 edit so i can work the bugs out of the computer but with a Digital fuel injection sys like that it should be a piece of cake for retrofit in a z and not to mention all your new mods icon_wink.gif good luck and keep us posted!

Let us know what you think of LT1 Edit please. I'm interested in it as it could allow people to use the LT1 computers as "poor man's" DFI. Since the LT1 has a MAF and I prefer MAF it might be a better swap than the DFI even icon_smile.gif I guess it'll depend on how friendly the LT1 Edit software is. I hate their restrictions on the ECUs but I guess I can understand why they're doing that...

Guest super280z

hey Blkmgk,

i've heard lots of stuff about LT1 edit. most good but some bad. it is VIN# locked so you can only use it on one specific pcm. (until i get a hold of it icon_wink.gif ) other than that its totaly awesome. i have not had any expierence with accel's stuff but LT1 edit has options ranging from changing the spark/fuel curve to controlling knock sensors

02, and even adjusting when or if your electric fan comes on. its totaly awesome check out this writeup.

icon_biggrin.giftech specs

this really helped me out in learning the ups and downs of the software. i think its absolutely necessicary for anyone attempting this swap or anyone with an LT1. for about 300 bucks (software and ALDL cable) you can be your own pcm tuner.

p.s. BLKMGK, love your car. excellent styling its so sweet looking icon_wink.gif im going to try to get some of mine up soon too.

[ August 22, 2001: Message edited by: super280z ]

Never seen that writeup - thanks! One of these days I'll sit down and add up all of the parts that I'd need to use to setup the LT1 computer on a regular motor. I see no reason why it wouldn't work given the correct inputs. The ignition would be the hardest part IMO since I'd not be using the optispark deal. One of these days I'll research it, MAF just makes the whole setup so much more forgiving from a tuning standpoint...

P.s. Do let us know when you get pics up. I'm sure everyone would be interested, especially if you've got the LT1 all wired up icon_smile.gif