HybridZ

Year 1 280ZX Restoration Project

Well ladies and gents this may not be my first project, but it is my first bout with a frame on restoration. The car was bought for 800 dollars and after driving it the 1 and a half hours back home (yes it ran and drove perfectly), I parked it in the garage and my friend TJ (my import guru) and I began gutting her the 16th. Within 2 hours, as the second picture shows, most everything minus the dash and airbox were removed to ready the car for paint and to inspect any floor pan rust issues. One small 2" square hole found behind rear driver seat, the rest is solid. Rockers need replaced on both sides, as well as the driver side quarter as it is shot, and both fenders need to be replaced to match because the previous owner creased the driver side fender by trying to jack it up in the wrong position.

imagejpeg2w.th.jpg

While removing the carpet and interior, we found many wires that were just homemade radio wiring made from extension cord and running from an aftermarket radio. The wire had gotten so hot, the area above the gas tank had grooves melted into it. Apparently the car had had a sound system in it at a point and had been removed. Altogether the extra wiring weighed in at 14.12 pounds of scrap (weight reduction anyone?).

It was starting to seem like I'd gotten in over my head until I found that with just under a 1800 dollar investment, it could be done. So even though my project has problems, the saying holds true: Throw enough money at a hooker and eventually they'll be a lady. Updates to come.

imagejpeg00.th.jpg

• 1 month later...

First update: Got all my body parts in a week ago. Thanks to all who have sent me interior parts and such with special thanks to Daniel (dhp123166) in So Cal for going to ceck out local Z part outs and for going to the junkyard out there. This has been a great help and I really appreciate it. We should beging cutting this week as the friend I have with the welder should be back in town. No further picture changes to report. It seems to be really coming along although my slight wiring problem baffles me.

• 3 months later...

Update: Sorry for being away so long. I'm back! I have replaced both fenders and am about to cut the rockers and rear quarter panel. The car is getting moved again from Cottage hills to brighton so I can sort out the electrical proble. everything is going smoothly. pictures to come

Update: Sorry for being away so long. I'm back! I have replaced both fenders and am about to cut the rockers and rear quarter panel. The car is getting moved again from Cottage hills to brighton so I can sort out the electrical proble. everything is going smoothly. pictures to come

• 5 weeks later...