HybridZ

305 Buildup

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was recently given a 305 bottom end that was balanced &blueprinted and has all new parts. Can anyone tell me if I can use the 441 casting heads with the 1.94 valves? I can get these heads with a fresh valve job along with a cam lifters, intake,and Edlebrok performer RPM manifold and carbuerator for 350$ from a friend. I'm not real sure if these heads will work on the 305.

just my .02c, I'd take those heads/intake/carb/cam and flip the 305 bottom end and put the 305$ towards a 350 bottom end. Bores too small on a 305 to open up those 350 head valves much and your cc will be shrouded. The inverse of putting 305 heads on a 350 CAN be a cheap budget racing punch for higher compression/racing fun that's common among some budget fbody racers but not great for street (quite high comp AIR).

Guest Anonymous

The only reason for the 305 idea was I got a COMPLETE bottom end with all new parts for damn near free $50. The owner was going to use this engine for a circle track car but decided to move into another division therefore using 350s. He owed me a favor for some work I did on his house so when I told him I was looking for a smallblock for my77 he mentioned the 305. I do know he won a lot of races in the class he raced in and wasn't tearing down engines every4or5 races.

Check the casting numbers on MorTec http://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm If they are:

3932441....69-70...350..........76cc chambers

3932441X...69-70...350/400......80cc chambers

On a 305 you will have no compression unless you use pistons with very large pop-up's.

Sorry but I would pass icon_sad.gif

BTW, Trickflow Aluminum 23 degree heads have 2.02"/1.60" valves, 64cc chambers and will fit a 305 CID SBC http://www.trickflow.com/product/prfeature_index.htm oooooooooooh - light and fast. icon_eek.gif