HybridZ

Extreme headlight modifications

DavyZ

Thanks for the post, Mike, but I'm convinced I can make them from a headlight bucket and one of those plastic/fiberglass covers. I'll use tubing that is the correct circumference for each light (may just do one light on each side) but I get a bit stumped when it comes to drilling the holes in the plastic. I suppose a drill-press could be used, but I'll have to talk to an expert about it before I start cutting.

You could be right that it is from a mold--that would be easy to produce them then. I'm amazed that if they could not get them legalized, especially in CA. One could use an Acura headlight with no problems. Curious.

Davy

01wcn185.jpg

I have headlight buckets that Jason (LONGROD327) gave me--thanks, Jason!---and I want to make some kind headlight modification like the ones shown above on the flamed Z.

To anyone that has done this before, my question is this: How do you cut the housing such that the hole has a perfect ellipse like the ones shown? The angle of the cover becomes severe and I'm a bit clueless about making the cut--this is assuming I have molded in a cover like the Z has. Any help would be appreciated. I'm sure Terry Oxandale and some of you body guys may know too. smile.gif

Davy

Those headlights are the one and only prototype that MSA wanted to sell. They couldn't make them legal for some reason and dropped the project. The guy with the flamed Z bought the only pair. I also heard if MSA did get to sell them, they would of been around $400 a set!! More than likely they were made from a mold. b_hand.gif

Guest Anonymous

Davy,

Probably the way I'd try it would be to use a piece of like EMT (metal conduit) of proper size, bore a hole and file like crazy until it fits the hole, then get it straight tack it on the inside (leave it sticking out the front 6" or so to give room to work on it) and then take a die grinder and cut it off very close to the contour. I'd then finish welding it on the inside, grind it to meet the curve exactly then fill it with something that doesn't leech water (fiberglass resin? or some sort of epoxy filler). Of course you may want to work on the actual light bucket on the end of the pipe before doing all of the above... :D

Just a thought, thats how they do like frenched in antenna's and stuff like that in the old cars.

Regards,

D

Lone,

Thanks for the input! I can see that working pretty well, but I was hoping to do this (if at all possible) without welding--I know you weld, but you also keep moving farther and farther away! :D I keep thinking of a reverse mold or a regular mold. If the reverse mold can be made properly, it would be great to make copies from. The regular mold wouldn't last too long because of the cheap product I would use (plaster paris). I have to keep thinking this through and make a game plan. I am motivated to do this because it is one project for the Z that is not too expensive and will have a high visual presence. If you have any other ideas, by all means please let me know.

BTW, if you come back to Sac, we definitely need to get together!!! :D

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Not If I come home, Bro, When is the only question, and yes we definitely will get together, that I promise. :D

Glass huh.... Oh well, not my expertise really, I've only dabbled as you know... I suppose the same method, but use PVC pipe, glassed in to a filled headlight bucket, smoothed, a mold poured and then maybe a chopper gun to fill the mold (quicker and easier to shoot a mold with glass I believe than laying out matt in irregular surfaces, not sure if you can rent them or not), but as I say thats a edu-macated (barely.. :D ) guess. smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

I had not thought of a chopper gun, but that would be key for filling in the irregular shape of the form. Thanks for the ideas. I will go the PVC route as I know it has to be strong to locate and hold the light assemblies inside. Dan Juday showed me his racing-style fuel filler he bought from John Washington, and it is made of what appears to be PVC--very well made and looks plenty strong! smile.gif

Davy