HybridZ

Tie rod #turns vs. toe

Howdy all, been a while...

Alignment shop set me to the wrong specs, .25* front toe-in per side. Just need to know how a turn of adjustment at the tie rods relates to toe change on a '71 240Z (stock tie rods, steering arms, etc), if anyone has that info handy...

TNX!

Do you have an extra tie rod to measure? Maybe you can measure the one on your car.

Just find the thread pitch and that's how much translational movement you'll get, per turn.

Then find out what that equals to in degrees by measuring the steering arm radius and approximating the toe angle change as arcsin(thread pitch/arm length). I think that should work, my Z isn't near me now, so just going off the top of my head. Sorry that I don't have actual numbers.

*Of course, it would be wise to measure once you're done as well.

Edited by Leon

Yes, I have done that before, worked out the geometry and it worked like a charm. But of course I don't remember the relationship and figured I'd check here first before degrading myself to putting forth any real effort :P

Do you have an extra tie rod to measure? Maybe you can measure the one on your car.

Just find the thread pitch and that's how much translational movement you'll get, per turn.

Then find out what that equals to in degrees by measuring the steering arm radius and approximating the toe angle change as arcsin(thread pitch/arm length). I think that should work, my Z isn't near me now, so just going off the top of my head. Sorry that I don't have actual numbers.

*Of course, it would be wise to measure once you're done as well.