HybridZ

my early 260 z project...

MUAH-HA-HA-HA THE FELT CHANNEL STRIP WORKS!!!! ... now that i got that out. the overall process to get to the installation is kind of tedious.

DSC_0042.jpg

i got the strips today when i woke up and they seemed like they would work perfectly.

DSC_0008-1.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

you have to unbolt 5 visible door bolts, take off you door panel and remove 3 more bolts,

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0030-1.jpg

DSC_0031-1.jpg

DSC_0032-1.jpg

then pull and wiggle the chrome channel out without breaking anything inside the door.

when you get it out, you have to take a flathead screwdriver to remove all of the old felt strip.

do not test fit, when the strip is in it is difficult to remove without damaging the material

use acetone or any cleaner to clean the channel itself and prep it for adhesive and the new material.

DSC_0034-1.jpg

MAKE SURE TO CUT 45 DEGREE ANGLES FOR THE RIGHT ANGLE IN THE CHANNEL THIS IS WHERE YOU WILL START INSTALLING!!!!

DSC_0033-1.jpg

put a solid bead of adhesive in the channel and press the strip in firmly.

DSC_0035-1.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

cut before reaching the bolt threaded holes

DSC_0037-1.jpg

one 6 foot strip fits the door WITHOUT EXCESS. i was surprised... it took me all the way to the end

DSC_0038-1.jpg

i need to find the rubber strip the goes on the door trim

DSC_0039-1.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

the inside fuzzy stripping is in really bad shape

DSC_0043.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so the passenger side managed to take me a whole 5 mins... and i am very happy with the results that i got from the 2 doors, here is the link again to the JCwhitney felt channel http://www.jcwhitney.com/all-rubber-window-channels/p2009944.jcwx its style number 26 but i also read that style 21 also works.

if you guys find what im doing helpful, just drop me a line... im just a kid trying to do whatever i can on my car, im 17 and fresh out of high school and i have a deep passion for all classic cars but the datsun family has grown on me, but because im fresh out of high school im almost out of money, and when that happens work cant get done... but i know that as long as i keep a goal in mind time doesnt matter, i just want to learn as much as i can and carry that information with me into my future and help others along the way, so do the world a favor guys and try to pass on what you know to others and help out those around you. the amount of information that each member has on this site is an untapped well of knowledge. if you see anything that im doing right or wrong dont be afraid to say something.

sorry about this rant but i just thought i should jot it down, working on my z is something i love and thoughts like these always run through my head...

-PatSab

Edited by xxxpatsabxxx

yea im not really a fan of them either but i learned to love mine. im surprised, they cleaned up really well for being 30 years old.

They look brand new, did you have them polished? Yeah I used to think rims with an even number of spokes were dumb as well but mine with six are growing on me. Really dull and beat up though.

They look brand new, did you have them polished? Yeah I used to think rims with an even number of spokes were dumb as well but mine with six are growing on me. Really dull and beat up though.

i took a day to just polish them with Mother's Mag Polish but im going to redo them soon and paint the area between the webs black. yea they do look really good but up close you can see some damage from the previous owner.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey, xxxpatsabxxx great info and pics. Thought I would add a bit about the sound deadening material in post #33. I used the product from Lowe's when installing an audio system in a single cab truck. It worked very well! It DOES smell of tar, but it only lasted 2 or 3 days and has not returned. I live in east Texas and the summer heat (triple digits already) has NOT brought back the smell. I'm planning on using this product from the fire wall back in my Z.