HybridZ

M3 Style Spoiler

cruceno21

My car (1975 280z) didn't have a spoiler and I heard spoilers help with the exhaust fumes leaking in. Not sure what I wanted to do but the BRE ones are just too aggressive for me. I had a friend who got one of those M3 style stick on spoilers and I thought I would give it a whirl.

The part is really universal, but listed as for a 94-97 Accord because of the width. I couldn't find one as narrow as the hatch and I didn't want a long one I would have to cut into three pieces.

I got the part and it has a slight curve to it but I am trying to slowly with some heat bend it straight. It is a stick on item, but it is solid plastic so if I like it, I will counter sink some holes and permanently mount it.

I think I am just going to leave the ends hanging off. I will stick some felt bumpers under it so it doesn't scratch the quarter panels and leave it for now. I could if I really like it, cut off the ends and then stick them to the quarter panels.

I blue taped it down when I got it to test fit it, what do you guys think?

post-8628-12752607957167_thumb.jpg

post-8628-12752608153875_thumb.jpg

post-8628-12752608336885_thumb.jpg

A few things:

- There are a variety of things that contribute to exhaust in the cabin including worn seals, poor hatch alignment, etc. If you haven't solved those, then I doubt this will help much.

- Read the wind tunnel tests specifically looking at the tests with the rear spoiler. I think you'll find that the BRE does make a difference in terms of reducing lift, but it's small because the spoiler is small. A bigger spoiler is really required to make a significant difference.

- The one you show is even smaller than the BRE so I'd expect it to have little impact on the airflow, and hence on fumes.

- I've seen a small number of people post their experiences after adding a rear spoiler and I'd say the general consensus is that it doesn't make much difference.

Yeah I know it won't make much if any aero difference. I figured for $25 it was worth a shot as I don't like the car without a spoiler, and I don't want something too big. I am still debating if I want to stick it on or not. I will leave it unpainted for now, no plans for paint until a year or two. Its mostly for looks.