HybridZ

5 Speed Tranny Swap in '77 280Z Coupe. Questions...

Hi guys. Need to pick your brains. I have picked up a nice 5 speed tranny and was told it was out of a '78 or '79 Z. I want to swap it with the 4 speed original. I was told it would be a direct swap, but I have found 2 differences with the 5 speed right off the bat. First, there is a sending unit with 2 yellow wires located near the shifter on the right upper side. Second, the speedometer cable attaches on the left side (instead of the right side) with a 45 degree down angle. The 5 speed serial number is 7Y04342. It is stamped ZL 71B with a #1 stamp below that. Your help is appreciated. Kevin

Hi guys. Need to pick your brains. I have picked up a nice 5 speed tranny and was told it was out of a '78 or '79 Z. I want to swap it with the 4 speed original. I was told it would be a direct swap, but I have found 2 differences with the 5 speed right off the bat. First, there is a sending unit with 2 yellow wires located near the shifter on the right upper side. Second, the speedometer cable attaches on the left side (instead of the right side) with a 45 degree down angle. The 5 speed serial number is 7Y04342. It is stamped ZL 71B with a #1 stamp below that. Your help is appreciated. Kevin

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?app=core&module=search

I promise this has been covered.