HybridZ

Dodge gas cap??

Guest Drewz

Has anyone had any experience with a 69 Charger R/T gas cap? I have the opportunity to buy one in the box for $50 canadian funds. It is the style I want but it will have to be mailed to me since the owner lives on a farm 4 hrs away with no access to a computer or digital camera. It comes complete with the "trim ring" but is it possible to mount it on my car?? It would be placed on the top of the rear 1/4 not the side of course! 2thumbs.gif2thumbs.gif

I put one on a '66 Mustang (with my very first fiberglass work ever) rear end that I made out of fiberglass (I was rice before the rice were). They are very bulky and heavy, but the pop-off cap was too cool. It came off a Charger (you know, the cap was on top of the rear quarter)

If you want to recess it, call the guy to make sure it will work. I think that the hinge is set up so that the cap has to be mounted on top of the panel and cannot be recessed. It will stick out (or up) about 1" minimum. They do look good, so that's your call on if you want to use it. I've always liked the racy appearance. It may be pitted somewhat too.

This is a brand spankin new one in the box. I don't want to recess the cap as it is a thing of beauty IMO! If I do go convert. it would be on pass side 8 inches in from the side or centered. I think centered would be nice but if you spill any gas malebitchslap.gifmalebitchslap.gif . I am going to go for it I think b_hand.gif ?????

DrewZ, here is a pic of what American rice (circa 1980) looks like. Of course, this was my very first fiberglass work, and I went wild! The Dodge gas cap is indeed recessed (on the back panel), but you will need about 1" all the way around it for it to work correctly.

standard.jpg

I called the guy to arrange the purchase but he will not be back till late tomorrow. I think I will leave it flush and not inset it like you did. Nice car! You are bounds ahead of me in the glass dept. 4 sure. I am just trying to figure out what I can do for a hardtop since the Z may end up being topless. I got a 4 point bar ready for chrome so with the top gone I will have some protection.