HybridZ

Body Panel Removal Methods

Sleek Z

ALL,

I am working on a photo tutorial depicting the typical body panel removal method of using a spot weld circle cutter on Z car unibodies.

Apart from cutting off sections of the car with a torch or sawsall, does anyone know of other ways to seperate the spot welded panels from the body that you could share with me for the tutorial?

I also need experienced input on methods of prepping the rusty body behind the panel before a new one is attached and as to what welding and attachement methods others have used.

You can see the rough draft of the tutorial half way down the new "Coming Attractions" page at http://www.zparts.com/inprogress.html

Any experienced contributions most appreciated and you'll be credited as well, for a major contribution.

Thanks much,

Eric Neyerlin - owner of ZPARTS.COM

Guest V8wannabe

Here's what I did for mine....first a wire wheel or 3M pad to knock off the big stuff the a coat of rust neutralizer/converter. (Some of them need to be rinsed off) After that a coat of good primer. I used a truck bed spray on liner instead of paint...hoping to get a little soundproofing too.

Guest Anonymous

Panel Removal:

Body fendermen use a specialized drill with

special bit to remove spot welds. The best one

is made in Germany and costs about $500. The

special drill bit cuts all of the material within

the outside of the hole. It is sold under the

Dent Fix brand. The drill also has a adjustable

depth setting.

Sunny