HybridZ

'78 280Z, Just asking for some ideas/help.

Hello everyone, I'm a new 280Z owner and I have owned the car for a couple of months now, I came across her on a craigslist add for $1700. She drives ok but has some issues and I was wondering if people on the forums wouldn't mind helping me out and/or giving me ideas of what I should/need to do to my car to make it in better condition and drive better.

The car itself runs, but it likes to consume oil so every time I take her for a drive I always check the oil level. While driving though, I can smell gas from inside the car, any ideas of what might be causing this? The car also has a lot of rust and I would really like to get some ideas of how to fix/repair the damage the rust has caused to the car.

The ignition switch likes to get stuck and I have already tried using silicone spray and taping on the key with the back end of a screw driver, it worked but it still acts up occasionally. Also, the gearbox has a lot of play/slack, so sometimes I think I am in 4th but I am in 2nd.

I have included pictures of the car and pictures of the main rust issues. Any suggestions and advice is welcomed and greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time at looking at my thread.

P.S.

Any future plans are also welcomed, I'm thinking about putting a turbo in her after I repair all the rust and fix the engine. Thanks again for all the help.

post-11210-12756046169915_thumb.jpg

post-11210-12756046345755_thumb.jpg

post-11210-12756046514375_thumb.jpg

post-11210-12756046627463_thumb.jpg

post-11210-127560469014_thumb.jpg

post-11210-12756046970359_thumb.jpg

oil consumption: search, may require a rebuild, may be something already covered.

Gas smell, common on these cars, again search, may require a new hatch gasket

Rust, search

shifter, search for new bushings

Looks great and it seems to be quite a steal for only $1700. I payed $700 more for mine that makes yours look like cherry off the lot car. (Mine had 4+ colors...)

Good luck.