HybridZ

FI sensors and ecu from 96 taurus

PapaSmurf

Hey guys my 96 taurus 3.0l was brutally murdered by an elderly relative. I've been contemplating a move to fuel injection on my z for some time but I really don't want to use the stock setup eg ugly emissions intake manifold, flapper, 1970's computer technology. Since the taurus is likely to be towed away I was thinking of saving the fuel injection components. Would the ecu need to be reprogrammed? I'm almost certain it would, especially if I want to tune it well, but would it run better than a pair of carbs with bad needles? I don't actually have the ecu for my car any more I do have a fuel injection manifold from an 81 I was thinking of modifying and cleaning up. I could pair it with this ecu, possibly these injectors, the sensors, and maybe even the throttle body and if everything got along well I'd move to a more open platform ecu that could be easily tuned.

obviously this entails a lot of work and a lot of wiring I'm just wondering if there's ever been an attempt at doing this or if I have the slightest chance of success...

Hey guys my 96 taurus 3.0l was brutally murdered by an elderly relative. I've been contemplating a move to fuel injection on my z for some time but I really don't want to use the stock setup eg ugly emissions intake manifold, flapper, 1970's computer technology. Since the taurus is likely to be towed away I was thinking of saving the fuel injection components. Would the ecu need to be reprogrammed? I'm almost certain it would, especially if I want to tune it well, but would it run better than a pair of carbs with bad needles? I don't actually have the ecu for my car any more I do have a fuel injection manifold from an 81 I was thinking of modifying and cleaning up. I could pair it with this ecu, possibly these injectors, the sensors, and maybe even the throttle body and if everything got along well I'd move to a more open platform ecu that could be easily tuned.

obviously this entails a lot of work and a lot of wiring I'm just wondering if there's ever been an attempt at doing this or if I have the slightest chance of success...

If the ecu has been "cracked" and people are tuning it then yeah, it might be doable. Lots of people have done this kind of thing before but with the options out there now I don't really see the adavantage. A used megasquirt, haltec, or AEM could end up costing the same and have huge tuning advantages and be much easier to install.

If the ecu has been "cracked" and people are tuning it then yeah, it might be doable. Lots of people have done this kind of thing before but with the options out there now I don't really see the adavantage. A used megasquirt, haltec, or AEM could end up costing the same and have huge tuning advantages and be much easier to install.

thanks snailed, I was thinking of going with a solder it yourself megasquirt kit, just wondering if there was a cheaper or better way to do it. I thought the ford ecu might work well because I'd been thinking about transplanting the wasted spark ignition setup in there as well.

• 2 weeks later...

get the ford evtm(wirng diagram) book that the dealers have and very carefully disassemble the car.the ecm has been hacked and you can get software/cable package to use the obd2 port.as far as megasquirt i have been there/done that.i used to be a ford dealer tech.the evtm book is very good and a well planed attack should give you a very neat install