HybridZ

Project - 240 EurekaZ L28ET

Hello all.

I'm starting to take baby steps to beginning my first 240z project.

I've been lurking this forum and classicz for a whole year now, and have been changing my mind from a rb swap, to a v8 conversion, to a bmw swap and finally at a L28ET swap. Reason was I liked the sound of the L series and its not too powerful to rip my 240z in half, and its the intended engine for these cars from a manufacturer's point of view =P

I've got a bare body 72 240Z with no interior, cept the steering wheel and seats. =[

I haven't bought anything yet as its quite difficult for me to source parts and find 280zx donor car with these cars being so old and all.

I've got access to a L28E and i realize that the compression ratio is different to the L28ET, so i was wondering what people have done when they change it. And yes I've read the faq in the L series forum =], its just nice to get people to actually say what they came across.

I really want some information from people who have done this swap to the 240z. Just wondering what kind of hurdles and problems people run into is all. Its interesting to read stories on what problems people came across and how they solved them.

Don't worry, I've been using the search function (though it hasn't helped me =[).

I'll post pics of my car when i get home.

Edited by timestep

I have an N/A L28 in my 240Z that I have added a turbo and EFI too. When I first got the car, it had carbs on the L28.

I have not opened the engine to change anything from stock. The most invasive I have been was just recently to put a new timing chain in.

I have ran as high as 14 PSIG non-intercooled (still haven't finished making my FMIC yet), and have backed it down to 10 PSIG, only because I saw some huge intake temps at 14 PSIG.

Control is the key. I am using a GM ECM with an enhanced GM code in it, that works very well. People seem to like the MegaSquirt (not a fan). Going with something that is tunable and has more finite control than the original L28E or L28ET ECM will make all the difference, when it comes to keeping the engine together.

FWIW, I might be selling my complete Turbo L28, come winter, because I plan on going to a very different engine. I'm also not that far from you, just about an hour and a half, or so, in Brantford ON.

The Ontario Z car club will be having thier ZFest in August, here in Brantford at the Nissan dealership, and there will be a few turbo L28s there, both converted N/A L28s and originally turbocharged L28s. You will be able to get some ideas and find out what guys have and haven't had work for them there.