HybridZ

Thermal Vacuum Valve/Switch and Idle problems

Heathhh

I have broken a nozzle (EGR nozzle) on my 1982 280zx N/A on the Thermal Vacuum Valve/Switch (TVV). And then a buddy had broken another nozzle on the TVV, it was the main vacuum hose from the AFM boot. So i have one nozzle left on the TVV that is connected to the Dizzy line that T's with other hoses etc.

I was thinking of just blocking it off, and the hoses that go to it. Is this a good thing to do or will i regret it because it will adversely affect my engine?

I already have a vacuum leak somewhere or something that is causing my engine to poorly idle. The problem is my car starts good, but the idle is very strange. At startup all you have to do is help it a bit to stay at a healthy idle, and then it will be idling around 700-800rpm. But, then if you even tap the gas pedal once, the rpms will rise a tad, then drop to 300rpm and struggle to get back up. (anytime during running, cold/warmed up-doesn't matter) On the road though it runs great and accels nicely, but idles bad.

The main line from the AFM boot to the TVV is a leak, but i am just not sure if i should block it off, or replace the TVV. I dont think it is the real problem for my idle though, but i rather ask for someone's knowledge to help me.

Has anyone had a good experience using AutoZone's vacuum leak finder using the dye stuff that comes with it? Smoke machine? An unlit propane torch worked okay for me, but i still have the problem after replacing many lines already.

So basically, this thread is concerning idle/vacuum leak, and the TVV.

Thanks