HybridZ

Post your EDIS installations

I'm considering converting to EDIS and would like to see how others have done it. Please post pictures that show where and how you mounted things. Also, if you remember, let us know what the donor vehicle was.

Thanks in advance!

The previous owner had EDIS on the car when I bought it, so I'm not entirely sure, but I think the coil comes from either a Ford Explorer or Ranger V6 ( EDIS-6 ). For mine, it gets its signal from a crank position sensor (from an Xterra maybe?) mounted next to ( what I believe is ) a 36-1 missing tooth trigger wheel mounted on the crank pulley and MS explains something about it being a certain degree ahead of the missing tooth for its signal purpose (50 degrees for a 6 cylinder sticks out in my head but I can't elaborate more than that).

I'm sorry I can't be more specific than that, but I'm sure other members here know the system quite well and will chime in. It will help me out too!

Edited by usafdarkhorse

Megajolt Light Junior here...till I swapped my carbs for FI+MS1e. It's a simple conversion, the hardest part is fabbing the 36-1 wheel and trigger pickup.

If you've got access to a lathe, or one of Derek's EDIS mounting kits, it's cake. Just stomp the coil pack down on the passenger strut tower, bolt the EDIS module in somewhere, and follow the wiring diagram. Mine looks very similar to BRAAP's install on the BRAAPZ, or I'd post up some photos. A set of custom plug wires will finish the job with a neat look, or maybe you can find an OEM set that will work and look good.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you're still running a current-sense tachometer, and most folks just swap them for a voltage triggered tach. Absolutely NO NEED to do this. To retain the stock current-sensing tachometer, take the black/white stripe wire from the stock coil wiring, and trace it back to wherever you are mounting your coilpack. USE THIS WIRE to supply the +12v line to the coil pack, and WAA-LA! Stock current-sense tach works perfectly fine. However, you will not be able to use the multispark capabilities if you want your tach to read correctly at engine speeds under 1100RPM. Under 1100RPM, with Multispark enabled, your tach will read three times high.

I'm considering converting to EDIS and would like to see how others have done it. Please post pictures that show where and how you mounted things. Also, if you remember, let us know what the donor vehicle was.

Thanks in advance!

i have just finished the MJ installation in my '72 240Z last week. A 36-1 trigger wheel was machined to fit on the balancer and was then shrink fitted. The sensor was mounted on the original air pump bracket, next to the EDIS controller. The MJ unit is below the dashboard on the drivers side (keeping the wiring short and easy to install). EDIS Coilpack is mounted on an adapter in the original distributor position. Spark wires are sourced from NGK, they have the correct wires for EDIS to spark plug in black (NGK 593-nnn). I've added a quick chart what the layout looks like, and a wiring sheet for the installation.

post-9530-12764973767086_thumb.jpg

post-9530-12764973842912_thumb.jpg

post-9530-12764973984599_thumb.jpg

Wiring Megajolt Datsun 240Z.pdf

Thanks everyone, there are some clever ideas for mounting that I would not have thought to consider.

Paul: that's a great thread and I now see it's a sticky. I had looked in the ignition forum but didn't think to look in the Megasquirt so missed it.

Xnke: thanks for the heads-up on the tach. Turns out I swapped to a voltage-triggered tach a while ago because 3 current triggered tachs in a row were wildly inaccurate.

Vantage: very clever to mount the coil pack where the dizzy used to be. Any chance you have a close up picture of that? I'd much rather continue to use my existing Magnecor wires instead of buying new.

Thanks everyone, there are some clever ideas for mounting that I would not have thought to consider.

Paul: that's a great thread and I now see it's a sticky. I had looked in the ignition forum but didn't think to look in the Megasquirt so missed it.

Xnke: thanks for the heads-up on the tach. Turns out I swapped to a voltage-triggered tach a while ago because 3 current triggered tachs in a row were wildly inaccurate.

Vantage: very clever to mount the coil pack where the dizzy used to be. Any chance you have a close up picture of that? I'd much rather continue to use my existing Magnecor wires instead of buying new.

No photo as the CNC workshop has not delivered yet, but have attached a drawing so you get an idea how it will look like. The scope of my installation was to keep the 240Z as original looking as possible, the components are installed where they are not in plain sight and the distributor will be swapped against the EDIS coil.

BTW, i build myself a tacho conversion circuit for the MJ installation, and after doing a recalibration my current controlled tacho is quite precise (less than 4% error), so these old beasts are not that bad after all :)

post-9530-12765276957831_thumb.png