HybridZ

83' Turbo motor / ~60K miles / sitting for 10 years ... how much would you do?

trwebb26

So I bought an 83' turbo motor/tranny from ebay for $300.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-280zx-turbo-engine-T5-transmission-/250645575079?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a5ba3f5a7

I'm gonna go pick it up and I'm trying to decide how many parts to buy for it before I take it apart (the stuff I know I'll replace). The goal is to just have a stock motor that I can put 300-350 whp to without worrying about problems (I won't go higher than 12 psi of boost). I'm running megasquirt v3.0, innovative wideband, HE351 turbo, w/ big intercooler and all the proper fuel system. See http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/78872-280z-progress-frame-floors-exhaust-fuel-cell-lots-of-pics/ for more info.

I'm a touch concerned about the unknown with the engine. I know I'll be taking the head off to get a good look at the cylinder bores and taking the pan off to look around. While I've got it this far I think it is cheap insurance to put in a new complete gasket set, new water pump, new oil pump, and new timing set. What else should I consider before I stick it in the motor and fire it up? New valve stem seals (cheap and easy to get to)? Hone and re-ring with a good set of rings (cheap)? New bearings / plastigage? ARP studs ($$$)? I know it will get easy get carried away buying parts for it. Well since I've got the pan off - I might as well replace the rod bolts... and since I've done XXX, I might as well XXX... I'm just looking for the biggest bang for my buck for reliability. Thanks for the help.

Edited by trwebb26

Either run it as it sits, Or open it, change gaskets, and swap in some ARP rod bolts. I'd only do the latter if I was going for RPM's or 300+HP, though, unless it had bad compression and leaky rings. Then, it's time for a rebuild, with the highest quality components I could get.

Contrary to popular belief, there ARE some nissan rings and bearings available still. I spent 300$ on nissan rings and bearings with my local dealer last week, and have enough to last me for four complete rebuilds.