HybridZ

Transmission swap or rebuild?

dschock

I've got a '71 z with the type A 4 speed badly in need of replacement or rebuild. I would like to either rebuild it, or upgrade to a 5 speed. I know that the type A is an inch farther forward than the newer ones, so I would have to modify the shifter. Would I need a different drive shaft? What generation 5 speed would you guys suggest for a swap in terms of gearing and compatibility?

My other option would be to rebuild my 4 speed. I have found rebuild kits at drivetrain.com and zcarsource.com. The kit at drivetrain.com seems to be for a type B, but says 1970-73. Has anyone used drivetrain.com and know how legit they are? The kit is definitely cheaper there than z car source. Thanks for any advice!

The type A and type B transmissions are equal in length, the driveshaft length is different because of the position of the differential.

You can swap out for a type B transmission with no issues.

No, they are not internally the same. You won't find a rebuild kit easily for a type A, however there are some porshe type syncros that are reported to be suspiciously similar.

There are a few threads in here about these boxes, and rebuilding them, but it would be easier and cheaper to swap in a type B box

I have a 5spd in my 75, obviously its not factory, how would it know what type of trans it is and where would i find a rebuild kit, also would it be more benificial and cheaper for me to just find another 5spd trans, ive got 4sps i could put in it but id rather have a 5spd. also i was reading earlier that the earlier 240s have shorter driveshafts. If this is true could i put a t5 from a zx wit a short drive shaft?