HybridZ

For Blueoval, The fiberglass expert!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I want to do my own fiberglass work. That is, add fender flares to my metal body. I have recent experiance with metal-to-composite adhesives and was wondering if that epoxy-type bonding method would work for fender flares? I would epoxy the flare to the fender, rivet and then fill the remaining area with fiberglass bondo. Is that a reasonable way to go or should I glass mat/rivet/glass finish the flares?

Thanks in advance. Dang I love this site!

Jon

I'm no expert, I just found out stuff that works for me in my little ol' garage. I'd use the newer current adhesives that you have experience with. Glass will bond to steel, but (IMHO) it is only temporary. Heat (expansion coeficient differences), vibration, and imperfect bonding, all contribute to the bonds demise sooner or later. My current phylosophy in making parts is to design the part to be bolted in place. If this includes a fender, then so be it, I'll create a fender to get the flare I want (or buy a fiberglass fender and then modify it). BUT, with that said, I'm getting old, and unwilling to change my old habits. The current generation of adhesives should be very good, and one day I will try them. Preparation of the steel is everything.