HybridZ

Phantom Update

Phantom

I haven't been on the forum much the past couple years. Life in central Washington is much different than DFW! The good news is that I still have the Z32 convertible and the hybrid 280Z. I have had little time to do anything with either car except just keep them running and do basic maintenance. The 280Z is still a head turner even with the 13 year old paint job and the dings & scratches of the 30,000 miles I've put on it since it went into Johns Cars to be the prototype for his kit.

I occasionally get the car out to random events. Not long after I got up here I took it to Renegade Raceway - the local 1/4 mile track - and detonated the drivers side half-shaft universal on the 1-2 shift. Coasted through the 1/4 in 20 seconds and still almost beat the car next to me. After the cost of that repair - took out the universal, brake caliper and brake cable on that side - I haven't been back.

I've made a few car shows just for grins and the response to the car has been interesting. This is the land of Detroit iron. Non US manufacture automobiles just aren't all that popular up here unless its a Subaru or Audi for the all-wheel drive daily use. Some guys think the V8 is really cool but also think it's a real waste in a Japanese Sports car. OK in a 'Vette but not a Datsun.

Anyway, less than 2 years after I got here my company closed the plant I was managing and, after turning down 5 positions with them in order to stay here, I became unemployed. Like a good guy I got on a government program & went to the local JC enrolled in the Automotive Technology program to learn some additional skills for my favorite pastime. Did that for three quarters and then got a chance to start up my own business, Davis Concept Engineering, LLC, and started making some serious coinage. Hit a dry spell around the holidays that continued until recently and am mow back at it again. A local start-up company wants me to be their VP of Operations so I'm currently consulting for them and then will probably accept the position when it opens up in the next couple months while keeping my own business going on the side. Fortunately there is no conflict of interest concerns.

As some of you might know, my son DarthZ, bought Grenade300's 73 240Z also with an LS1/T56 combo. It's tough on the old man because his is definitely quicker with about a 5-600 lb weight advantage on mine. He's in the process of finishing the car off and there is plenty to do there.

With three little boys and a little girl on the way and a zillion home improvement projects, however, it has been slow going for him.

I can really identify with the home improvement projects. We had a nice home on 1/5 of an acre in Arlington, TX and up here we have 4 acres with a live pond and creek along with about 100 trees and wildlife out the wazoo. My wife of almost 38 years, Chris, and I have been busting our butts with improvement projects. After 3 1/2 years I'm finally getting the back garage set up as a auto shop. My "barn" is over 3,000 square feet, has 7 garage bays and a 600 sq ft efficiency apartment that we use for visiting honeymooners, family and other guests.

Enough for now - probably lost most of you about two paragraphs in. Y'all have a great day - and gets those Z's running!

Edited by Phantom