HybridZ

hood question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am building my car for scca solo 2 and time trials. what i need to know is if i cut the reinforcements out of the hood will the top skin still retain its shap or will it go straight.

thanks

dave

Guest greimann

Body panels are formed by a stamping process that permanently deforms the sheetmetal. The reinforcements are there to help prevent the panel from flexing under gravity, vibration and aerodymanic loads. So, no, the hood won't spring into a flat sheet, but it may flex undesirably under load.

You will not be happy if you strip the hood backing. First off you would be left with a very thin peice of sheet metal that would flex like crazy and look like total CRAP!! Secondly, the frame inside the hood is bonded to the sheet metal skin. Trying to cut them apart would also make it look like a big load of crap! I know its not a lot of savings but you could get rid of your hood latch hardware and your hood bumbers by replacing them with hood pins. You would only save about a pound but it looks cool!

Just my two cents.