HybridZ

with a 300hp motor do I need to upgrade radiator for improved cooling

I want to get some opinions. Car is 280zx 5 speed. I'm planning to upgrade to a 3.2L NA motor with 300hp. Only use for street driving, car wont see race track or drag strips. However I live in southern North Carolina, where day temperatures can easily reach 100 degrees. I don't use the car to commute in traffic and no stop/go, it is purely used for open T top driving around town/country trip 90 minutes here and there. I would do the occasional fun 2nd and 3rd gear acceleration bursts, and overtaking downshifts. I heard the stock radiator is pretty decent. I probably won't need to upgrade the radiator. But I do want to hear a few more opinions. Perhaps there are folks who had been running cars with HP in the over 280 range or been tracking with their cars on stock radiators. If it is recommended to upgrade as cheap insurance is the JTR radiator package the recommended direct fit and most reliable option? Thanks

Edited by bigbreak_2000

Thanks for the reply. I have not thought about changing from the pulley/belt driven system to replace or augment with electric fans. Now that I'm thinking about it...additional fans or larger fan = increase air circulation. The rest of the car is all stock (no mods to the hood, no aftermarket front air dam that could restrict air flow). Perhaps it would also make the motor run quieter when fans are non operational?. Any recommendations on an electric auxiliary fan setup? I also plan to keep the stock heat shield between the intake manifold and header, and wrap the header (ceramic coated) to keep any incremental radiant heat out of the engine bay.

Edited by bigbreak_2000