HybridZ

Tach signal pulses per revolution???

Hey guys,

Having a hard time trying to find how many pulses per revolution our coils send out to the tach.

Is there an easy way to figure out the RPMs if I have the pulses per second/minute from my coil??

Thanks.

4 stroke motor means 2 revolutions per ignition event, so on a 6 cyl motor, you would get 3 sparks per RPM.

4 stroke motor means 2 revolutions per ignition event, so on a 6 cyl motor, you would get 3 sparks per RPM.

Not to try and confuse the matter, but.... That is probly fine advice for a Z car, or any car with a distributor for that matter, but it isn't true 100% of the time. More modern cars with paired coil packs and ignition modules use a wasted spark, opposite cylinders in the firing order spark at the same time. So you would get all 6 sparks per revolution on a 6 cylinder engine.

Not trying to pick apart your answer. The only reason I said anything is that you generalized it by saying "4 stroke motor means..." which could be interpreted as "all 4 stroke motors" when that isn't accurate.