HybridZ

door doesnt unlock

So I just had a key made off of the code on my lock because the car didnt come with a key for the door. The key works in the lock and locks the door and turns the opposite direction to unlock the door but doesnt actually unlock the door. Anyone have an idea of what would cause this?

I'm sure someone a bit more knowledgeable will step in, but try taking off your door panel and look at your lock mechanisms. Lock and unlock your door while you're watching it to get an idea on how the mechanism work, it should be fairly simple.

If I remember right I had the same issue, except I couldn't lock my doors from the inside and I just looked at how it worked and fixed, but it was a real pain fitting my hands in the tight door spaces.

This is a common problem and it has been written about many times, (could have been found via search!). If you take your doors apart and swap cylinders (leave the little arms on the same side) this will solve the problem. After 30 odd years the shoulder on the cylinder has worn away and there is not enough moment to unlock the doors. This is a good time to take out your door lock/latches and bath them in carb cleaner, then shoot some lithium grease in there to get rid of the gumminess.

I had a feeling you where gonna say something like replace the locks. I just spent 20 bucks to have a key made. blah. oh well. My latches are actually not stickey at all. They came pre lubed when I bought it.