HybridZ

hood scoop??

Guest zphreek

Guest zphreek

hey does anyone out there have a pic of a Z hood that has a scoop cut into the front part of the bulge?? i saw a pic of a ferarri maranello (SP??) and it had one like this. what i mean is like for the first 8-10 inches of the bulge cut out the bulge and put a flat peice across then go straight up at the back and have a mesh grill there. i think that would look pretty badass on a Z!

Guest Anonymous

I'm not a big fan of bonnet scoops on zeds - or any of the venting or anything on the bonnets for that matter!

But I must say.. I really like this one

Mikekz5.jpg

Not sure why.. But I really like it..

And yeah, like RacerX says, some guys did a whole bunch of pictures of how it would look - some of them looked pretty good too!

I've been thinking of a design that I believe would resemble the Maranello or some Aston Marton styles, but haven't gotten a damaged hood yet to practice on.

Basically, cut out a section of the stock hood at the front of the bulge starting at the leading edge of the buldge point where it meets the flat plane of the hood, and including only about 1/8-1/4" of flat metal around the buldge. Carry the cut rearward symmetrically on both sides of the buldge/flat-hood junction to where it turns from angling toward the fenders to angling toward the rear of the car. Then cut across perpendicular to the centerline of the bulge axis to join the ends of the side cuts. The cut-out piece is pointed at one end, square on the other, and has curved sides. It is about 8-9" long and roughly 10" wide. Flip it over and weld it back into the hood cutout and finish. I would probably substitute a thin plastic door-edge guard material along the free edges of the metal of the scoop that will show, rather than try to roll or fold the edges. The scoop falls well forward of the L6 valve cover end. Anyone tried this? DAW

Guest zphreek

DAW:

i just did the exact thing you are talking about on a junk hood i had. there were two problems i ran into; 1. with the piece inverted like it is it looks like it will hold water, 2. it hits on the radiator cap! no kidding! i thought the only clearance issue would be the valve cover but it is definitly hitting the rad cap. not much mind you but enough.

oh and BTW i was disapointed with the looks, instead of looking ferrari-ish it looked like one of those new thunderbird hoods. bonk.gif