HybridZ

Okay, forget the rattle can

Guest jdllaugh

Guest jdllaugh

From my last post you know I am cheap and without a clue. Obviously, I need to read a book or two. Having admitted that, what is the cheapest, easiest, hobby-friendly, won't kill ya painting system out there?

On Z-home they have a guy who suggests using lacquer cause it's fast drying and reasonably forgiving. He says you can even use it in your driveway!

I don't want to worry about being killed by fumes. I want to be able to sand and buff away my mistakes. I want simple, inexpensive equipment that I can buy anywhere. I want paint that is easy to apply and forgiving.

I'm building a performance-oriented sports car. Show quality is not on my agenda. I want the car to be presentable, but I plan to bash cones and kick up a lot of dust. I may, on occasion, crash into a wall or competitor. I don't plan to worry about my paint while driving. :D

Give me some tips! cheers.gif

Guest Zachb55

ok james, heres my plan.

Im 15, dont have a very high paying job, and am lucky enought to have an air compressor, paint gun, a 240Z to paint, and all the other stuff to get done with my primer coat, I went to the only auto shop around, a napa auto parts, and got all the supplies to paint my car to the primers stage and all i have left to buy is the paint and clear.

seeing as how i have experienced people around me, my step dad used to own the napa, the people there said it would be fine to use a BC/CC system. but they highly recomended that i dont strip the car down to bare metal, just sand it to the original primer, so thats what im gonna do. my suggestion for you is wait with what is on there and for the rusty spots do what i did to keep it healthy until i plan on sanding it down all the way (gonna happen today).

If you get some rattle can primer, etching primer is what i used cause thats what i had, itl keep it from getting worse then you can save up and have an awesome paint job compared to what you would get with a maaco job, trust me, thats whats on mine, see my webpage! itll force you in the do-it-yourself or do-it-professionally job.

The most expensive part of the system will be the air compressor, and the paint/supplies. Everyone should have an air compressor cause they come in handy a whole lot! Then you can get a cheap spray gun and do the job for under 400 in supplies like i am.

hope you can decipher that to make it make sense!

-Zach

Guest jdllaugh

Yup, sure have. Rustoleum Red, with another dozen cans of Clear to give it a nice shine. I still think careful spraying and generous applications of sanding and buffing could yield a reasonable paint job for under $100. :D

But, I would like to know what kind of hobbyist-friendly paints are available that would work. I don't mind buying an inexpensive paint gun.