HybridZ

Speedometer Stopped working, oil leaking from hole

jacob80

Hey guys,

Well, simply put, my speedo no longer works. I really do not know why, but I pulled the speedo cable off and made sure the little cylindrical piece with ears on it were in there correctly and sure enough, they were. Tightened it back up but nothing. That was about a month ago.

Last week, I noticed an oil spot about half way down the car. Crawled under and my speedo cable was soaked with tranny oil coming from the threaded hole where the speed cable goes into the tranny. Anyone know what is going on here? I can only assume these two issues are related. Thanks!!!

The speedo gear is mounted in a cylindrical piece that has an O ring to seal it in the transmission hole. There's also a small O ring on the speedo gear shaft IIRC. I don't have any pictures unfortunately but if you look at the transmission you'll see what I'm describing.

I'd check both of those to start. I think MSA has replacements if you need them.

I'm just speculating here ...

I'd start with verifying that the cable is still in one piece. In other words, that when it turns at the transmission end, it also turns at speedo.

Also, make sure that the cable itself is fitting properly into the speedo gear at the transmission. One time the end of the cable on my car was pushed so far into the cable housing that it didn't engage the gear. I just pulled it out half an inch and was careful to insert it gently and the problem was solved. Again, when you pull the cable off at the transmission, I expect this will make more sense.

After that, I don't have any more experience with it - but it's a pretty simple system so shouldn't be too hard to figure out where it has failed.

So there is essentially two parts to the cable:

The outer sleeve

The inner cable

You're saying the inner cable was down in the sleeve too far, correct?

At the transmission end, the cable looks like a +. I made sure the ears were inserted into the slot correctly, but maybe its TOO far into the transmission..?

Would it be a good idea to take an electric drill, chuck up the transmission end of the cable and let 'er rip and see if my speedo reads anything? I've thought about doing this, just wanted a little confirmation that I'm not going to ruin anything. Thanks!!

You're saying the inner cable was down in the sleeve too far, correct?

That's what happened once to me and caused the speedo to appear to be "dead".

Would it be a good idea to take an electric drill, chuck up the transmission end of the cable and let 'er rip and see if my speedo reads anything? I've thought about doing this, just wanted a little confirmation that I'm not going to ruin anything. Thanks!!

Seems like a reasonable way to test if there's a problem with the cable and speedo.