HybridZ

Rusty Gas Tank

Dono

So about a week and a half ago i bought a 79 ZX. The car was in pretty great shape, interior was all good, not much rust and all of it was surface rust so not too bad a fix. It had sat for a year but had driven well before that, have receipts for engine re-build and the new clutch. The car didnt run and the only reason being it needed a fuel pump. so I did the fuel pump on it and put some gas in it only to discover that I have a few holes in my gas tank. I tried using a gas tank sealer, it was this epoxy like thing, but to no avail. I have been busting my butt to find a tank with no luck. My friend drives a 76 280Z and happens to have an extra gas tank laying around from a z that he stripped for parts. I know that the gas tank is mounted in the same place, but mine is 2 gallons bigger, will his still mount up okay? does anyone know? or does anyone know where i can get another gas tank for a reasonable price? Thanks much!

I believe that the two tanks are not the same shape.

I know that Early 1976 tanks will definitely not fit as halfway through the year they switched to the half sized spare tire which changed the shape of the tank and provided for more fuel storage.

So unless I am mistaken, Early 1976 (before 6/76) will definitely not fit. And After 6/76 will PROBABLY not fit. But I am not an expert.

I'm about to buy a 82 ZX parts car. If you want it, it's yours. I'll figure out some shipping and that's all you would owe.

I'll have to get the car first though. I'll let you know, if your interested.

Thanks,

Lindsey

That would be absolutely fantastic! please do let me know. it would save me so much time and effort!