HybridZ

I need help starting my L24

turboHLS30

Ok as some of you know I'm selling my L24 with triples and a Cartech turbo kit. Well I have people interested but they want a vid of it running and a compression test. Well the problem is I can't start the motor because my harness that controls the lights and sends power to the starter and ignition got fried somehow (there's a short somewhere) and now I can't do anything. So my main question is, is there a way to hard wire it to get it to turn over and start so I can do a compression test and get a vid of it running? It still has a mechanical dizzy.

• Administrators

If only wanting to "Crank" the engine for compression checks, only thing you need to do is the jump start by bridging the two posts/connectors in the picture below linked by the MAGENTA line. Using a screw driver or other metal object such as socket extension, bridge the two electrical posts/connectors picture below, (It wont shock you, but it will create ad big loud bright arc, so be ready for that). The little one will be the spade connector, (that is the start signal wire), unplug that connector so you can make this connection. those two posts on the starter.

If wanting to start the engine, make sure you get power to the dizzy/coil, (typically key in the ON position, if those wires are fried, connect directly to the battery, when you are ready to start).

Using a screw driver or other metal object, bridge the two electrical posts/connectors picture below. The little one will be the spade connector, (that is the start signal wire), unplug that connector so you can make this connection. Once the engine fires, remove that connection.

REmove power to the dizzy/coil to kill the engine.

Hope that helps,

Paul

PICT6197-vi.jpg

Should just need a power source feeding to the coil, from the battery positive. The negative on the coil is how the distributor switches the coil on and off, so don't give it a constant ground. Then if you have a electric fuel pump that needs power, you'll need to deal with that to. Then cranking it should make it run.

If you don't want to use a screwdriver to jump the starter solenoid you can pick up a remote starter switch for $15.

Edited by goodoldjam