HybridZ

Vlsd opinions needed, anyone ever tried this??

dizzle

I am trying to use a vlsd from a j30 in my 240z longnose r200. I know that the carrier will bolt into the housing, and I have the 1mm spacers for the bolts. But from what I understand it seems like even if i could find a pair of Shiro axles, the spline would be different. So i went back to the U pull it yard and took the axles and stubs from the J30. These have the 6 bolt tripod CV's. I was doing a 280zx turbo cv shaft conversion anyway, so I tried to slip the J30 cv's onto the 280zx shafts, and they fit! Now the only problem is that with the length of the stub shaft and the cv joint, the axle ends up being a little too long. So I sent the stubs to a friend who is a wiz with the lathe and had him section the mounting flange from the shaft. Then shorten the j30 "cup" on the end of the stub axle. We designed a step to recenter the 2 pieces back together. Now all I need to do is Tig them back solid and the J30 inner cv's should work. The only part I am not sure of is if I can run the inner joint without the spring or not? But other than that I think this will work. I am picking up the stub axles tonight and I will try and get some pics up.

But has anyone done this kind of thing before?

And any advice with the cv spring??