HybridZ

Door Handles

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

How do you get the outside door handles off? Does the inside metal part just under the inside plastic door panel need to come off? I tried to do it thru the small holes in the metal panel for an hour and only ended up hurting my hands and causing the door not to stay shut anymore. Can't figure out how to get that inside metal panel off. Can anyone out there give me some advice?

Well, if you're working on a early Z, I found the easiest way to do it was remove the window--take off the chrome upper frame, then remove the chrome "windowsill" trim--4 screws hold the window to the regulator, then it just slides out of the door. Once you get the window out, you should be able to use a long flat screwdriver to pop the linkage off the handle, then a 8mm socket and a long extension to get the 2 nuts off the back of the handle--of course, reverse steps for reassembly

Jim

With everything still on the window, and the window all the way up. I just slid my hand in with an 8mm? wrench and loosened the two nuts that hold the handle on. Then pop the plunger arm out of that plastic thing. Don't lose this piece of plastic or you won't be able to open them from the outside.

Owen

Guest zfan

Owen's hit the nail on the head! It worked great for me,just be patient and take your time.

Once you figure the first out it take no time at all on the second one!

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Z Fan ...you have mail. Yes Owen is right and you can also use a 1/4 inch ratchet with 9 mm sockett. Do not lose the little 9 mm nuts since they are far and few in between.Lay a towell in the bottom of the door to catch the parts and later clean that gutter out and lubricate the window hardware. I have also managed to angle the rod outside of the Door handle mounting hole to unsnap the rod from the door handle.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks guys, thats basicaly the direction i was going except that i wasn't able to dissconnect the rod from the plastic thing connected to the handle. I'll take another look at it.