HybridZ

Por-15 on Engine Bay?

Guest KraZ4spd

Guest KraZ4spd

I read a post about somebody using Por-15 in their engine bay. He said that he had problems with it peeling due to the heat. Has anybody else had this problem? Is this a problem when you apply it to bare metal?

I'VE GOT TO HAVE AN ANSWER ON THIS BEFORE I MOVE ON TO SOMETHING ELSE. :confused:

Guest Anonymous

I sprayed the POR15 and thinned liberally with it's apropriate reducer. Later as the paint dried, the reducer caused the paint to "orange peel". I would never apply it on a large surface with a paint sprayer again. The stuff fades in direct sunlight and after being exposed to minimal sunlight it is faded.. The Silver turns the sickest green color. The stuff actually goes on good with a sponge brush.The paint will stick to "bare metal" properly prepared per instructions with the metal prep and rust sealer There is a million other paints out there to do an engine bay with rather than POR 15. It is good on small rust infested areas.

Nemeziz,

Try hammerite. It also has excellent rust adhesion/sealing properties and comes in aerosol cans, or can be brushed on. It will hold up to some heat, but if your exhausts aren't coated or wrapped it will surely damage and paint nearby.

Tim

Guest Anonymous

I will most likely repair my POR15 engine bay damage with Hammerite. Tim 240 Z are you back! Welcome Home! Your expertise was certainly missed. Lone had to take up all the slack. I should have a solution to the removal of that big boat anchor and misc.parts you are tripping over in your garage.

Hey TZ...yup I'm back....glad to be too. I counted almost 50 hours on my ass in a plane seat!!! No Fun!!

But I did come home with a MOMO 'Champion' Steering wheel and MOMO carbon fiber shifter knob (and a Goodyear Racing "Competitors ONLY" jacket)!!! Whoo Hoo! :D

Now if I can actually finish this car I can use them!!

Tim

No worries about the parts...whenever you're ready man.