HybridZ

Does POR 15 work?

Pop N Wood

To get ready for my Z conversion, I decided to build a workbench out of pipe with sheetmetal drawers. I need to coat the inside of the drawers with something. From the ads POR 15 goes on thick and should be chip resistent.

I've never used the stuff. Any experiences or comments?

Guest Anonymous

I would not want to spend the money for Por 15 on drawer insides and on a work bench. The stuff is adequete on small rust infested areas but real crap on large surfaces. I painted my engine bay and half of it orange peeled from the POR reducer getting hot. Do not use the silver since it turns this neon green with sunlight exposure. The stuff is meant to be placed where the sun don't shine. You would probaly be better off with some good rattle can flat black! my 2 1/2 pennies

Guest Mr. Big Business

You might be better off with some truck bed liner stuff. You can get it that is applied with a roller. It's a friction-full surface, so it would help keep your tools from sliding and banging around when you open and shut the drawers. It's also pretty chip resistant.

I agree that POR-15 woulf be an expensive way to go, but the stuff is tough!

Henry

If you want to really do it right - see if there are any powdercoating places nearby. The shop near me does good work for reasonable prices and some of the coatings are VERY chip resistant! If the objects aren't too big it might not be too costly if you can find someplace local to you...

Hrm, Eastwood also has a nice powdercoating setup but don't heat it in your home oven...

Guest Anonymous

Hammerite from Home depot is pretty tough too and is a rust inhibitor (or would a encapsulator be more accurate). Anyway, its a good finish for tool type surfaces, it has that industrial toolbox look to it when it drys. Way cheaper and less messy than Por15 (which is incredibly thin and if painted on yourself will be worn for quite some time unless you have they're solvent. :rolleyes: ).

Regards,

Lone

Guest potterma

Truck bed liner? Now I never thought of that. Might it be good for floorboards and other interior areas? I was thinking of POR-15 for the entire inside, then maybe a beauty coat over that, but the truck bed liner sounds intriging.

Guest potterma

Just looked up Hammerite up on the web. They make a high heat paint, too. Up to 600 degrees C. That should be great for an engine compartment! 2thumbs.gif

Guest KraZ4spd

I just checked out the Por-15 site wow do they have some new stuff!! They have top coats, engine enamels, Bright aluminum, and a heat resistant paint that withstands 1400 degrees.

I'm especially impressed with the new primer which allows you to paint over it.

I'm glad I painted my engine bay with Por-15 now.