HybridZ

need primer help!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Im going to start working on my doors here pretty soon. And i know that i want to put a light black colored basecoat for my final application. Question is do i still need to primer everything?? If im not mistaken basecoat is a primer??

thanks in advance,

franklin

Guest Anonymous

oops sorry. Yeah im basically going to take everything down to the bare metal, pull out the dents, and fill in the ones i cant pull. Going step by step, hence just the doors. Once everythings nice and smooth then what, thats the question. Should i lay down some primer, then a basecoat or is a basecoat a primer in itself.

thanks,

franklin

Guest Anonymous

RacerX is the man, but I'd think you'd still want to put down primer to give the base coat some teeth to grab onto. RacerX can probably provide that answer what primer to use.

Regards,

Lone

If you are taking it down to bare metal, then you need to pick up a special primer that is made for bare metal application, from what i have heard, if you try to apply regular primer to bare metal it will just run right off...

I am in the process of stripping and painting a 280Z and i gathered this information just a few minutes ago from an experienced painter....

Good luck with the stripping and paint work,

Joe

Guest Anonymous

Sweet, special primer. Another thing to add to the ever growing list! This will also bond well with a few spots of bondo right?? Or is there another way to go??

thanks,

franklin

Guest Anonymous

Wow! Lotsa good info! I think i got it.

1. Shave down to metal

2. Treat rust as needed

3. Coat with two part epoxy primer, roughing up areas needed to fill.

4. Fill in dents with plastic fill as needed.

But after step 4 what comes next. Also, im thinking of just leaving a satin finish to my car because im still working on it and dont want to scratch up the actual shiny paint. What to do what to do.

thanks yall,

franklin

Guest Anonymous

Would you not apply the body putty/plastic filler directly to the bare metal prior to any application of primer paint ?/?/?/?