HybridZ

Replaced dash and now car wont start

torev2

Okay here is the deal, I removed the dash from my 72 240z to fix old nasty thing. After hooking up all the connectors I have a few questions.... 1. now car wont do anything when key is turned just lights and 1 turn signal. 2. on the ignition there is 2 wires both red with blue stripe what are these for? 3. I have a red wire that appears to go to the turn signal stalk but nothing hooked to it also a black one with a blade connector on it from same bundle with no connections. I can trace these down with some time but does any one have any ideas as to why it wont do nothing now when key is turned?????

Still pulling what is left of my hair out. Also sorry if this was already asked I could not find any topics like this

Kevin

The red/blue (my wiring diagram shows it as blue/red) is the accessory power and is connected to the accessory relay. When you turn the key to accessory you should hear a click over by the passenger foot well.

The red and black wires at your turn signal stalk are your lights (either high beam or low beam). The black wire is the ground for the lights. Without the black wire connected you will not have lights period.

You've missed some connections as you stated (red wire and black wire not connected). You should really have a Factory Service Manual (FSM) or at least a Haynes manual if you are going to work on your car.

The red/blue (my wiring diagram shows it as blue/red) is the accessory power and is connected to the accessory relay. When you turn the key to accessory you should hear a click over by the passenger foot well.

The red and black wires at your turn signal stalk are your lights (either high beam or low beam). The black wire is the ground for the lights. Without the black wire connected you will not have lights period.

You've missed some connections as you stated (red wire and black wire not connected). You should really have a Factory Service Manual (FSM) or at least a Haynes manual if you are going to work on your car.

I do have a haynes manual and now i have downloaded the fsm. I have headlights,tail lights, brake lights, hazards, right turn signal ( left one stays on and doesn't flash same on dash) the main problem is that the key is dead like no power going to starter. I am going back through all of my connections in the am and triple checking to make sure they are tight. Thanks for the advice

Kevin

I do have a haynes manual and now i have downloaded the fsm. I have headlights,tail lights, brake lights, hazards, right turn signal ( left one stays on and doesn't flash same on dash) the main problem is that the key is dead like no power going to starter. I am going back through all of my connections in the am and triple checking to make sure they are tight. Thanks for the advice

Kevin

Make sure you have your connections to your hazards and blinkers on the right components. Also my blinkers have been doing the same thing so the relay may need to be replaced.

I had the blinker issue and it was caused by a PO hack job spice, if you get wires crossed on a signal or even your side marker (what was going wrong with mine) then it will no flash right. My side marker had been cut and just twisted together and electrical taped. This caused the thing to just stay solid sometimes. Only if the 2 connections were touching. Other than that it looks as if you have your issue figured out. Now PICS OF THE DASH!