HybridZ

Removing Paint From Plastic & Vinyl

TomoHawk

Tomohawk,

DCP_5521.jpg

Speak of the silver paint devil! How curious that you should ask that! I just did a sales inspection of a west coast 240Z for sale for a potential buyer in Ohio yesterday. Strange coincidence was that the car's original black vinyl interior had been redone in SEM silver/gray paint. See one photo of painted visors and roof liner at http://www.zparts.com/nonlinked/rexj240z/images/DCP_5521.jpg

DCP_3497.jpg

For another spectacular use of the SEM paint check out photo I did of Pierre'z silver show car at MSA this year. URL is http://www.zparts.com/events/wcn2002/promo/image/DCP_3497.html Now, there's COLOR for ya!

Does that dye stuff require special equipment, or can anybody make use of it? I still have reservations about putting it over paint, and I'm starting to think that this car already has a dye job from brown to black.

Make mine a medium grey, like dull aluminum.

The product just comes in a spray can and lays down beautifully. Nothing special required except that you follow directions and make sure what you are painting is CLEAN--preparation is the key. SEM is basically paint more than a dye, but it lays down much better and much thinner than paint does. It is the very best product I have used to give old vinyl and plastic interior pieces a "like new" finish. I highly recommend the product. BUT, you must follow the directions.

BTW, doesn't acetone dissolve vinyl??? Better be REALLY careful with that stuff. Alcohol is far less caustic.

Davy