HybridZ

How to paint a car?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was wondering if anyone knew a link to a good site that shows ya how to paint a car, like preparation, what tools ya need, how many coats to put on stuff like that? Thanks. I'm kinda as beginner as you can get on this bonk.gif hehe so any help is appreciated. Not going to do this anytime soon, just wondering cuz I might later on.

Guest Anonymous

If you`ve never sprayed a vehical before,and have no experience with the chemicals needed or tools required,the easiest way is to let someone with experience do it for you. :D There are many steps that could take alot of time to learn and many mistakes that no one can warn you about until its to late.If you really want to try this yourself,let me suggest this:Find someone around your area that has experience and ask if you can watch the process.Ask lots of questions,and do some practice panels before you ever try to take on an all over.There are some things you just can`t do just by gathering info from books or web sites.There are acrylics,urethanes,laquers,basecoat-clearcoats,synthetics.....The list goes on and on.First you need to find what type of paint you would like to spray.Thats only the begining of the choices you`ll need to make,and without actually seeing the process done it will be very difficult to say the least.

But,thats just my opinion.

Good Luck,

Carl

I would also consider the local trade/technical schools. There may be a class or two you could take to get your feet wet and get your questions answered.

In high school (1991) I learned to do paint and body work from an artcle in an old Hot Rod article. I used lacquer (sp) and could do pretty good, but I am scared of the new paint technologies and will let someone else do the painting for me. I believe the most expensive part is the prep and bodywork anyway. No painter in the world can make a car look good if the prep work is bad.