HybridZ

ID my two sets of early 280zx rear control arms

I've been running early 280zx rear control arms and brakes under the back of my VG30et-powered Datsun 510 using a modified Datsun 510 rear crossmember.

Since I'm doing a rear suspension upgrade after breaking my rear crossmember, I thought I'd pick up another set of early 280zx rear control arms to rebuild, add spherical bearings, and rear wilwoods to go along with my Subie STi R180 3.54 cLSD, Beta Motorsport 27T stub axles, WCR CV axle kit, billet alum diff moustache bar, etc.

Surprise! The second set of early 280zx control arms are different from my current set: The 4 bolt halfshaft flange isn't as deeply recessed, and the disc brake mounting bracket flange is welded to the control arm. My existing setup (1980 280zx?) has a deeply recessed 4 bolt halfshaft flange so you can barely see the stub axle bolt, and the disc brake mounting flange BOLTS to a second flange w/ 4 bolts. This 2nd flange is welded directly to the control arm. Pictures of the two versions are here:

http://datsun510.com...ry.php?cat=3735

I'd like your help with the ID so I can try to get another set of early control arms that match the set I already have.

Who knew there were 2 different versions of early 280zx rear control arms? Obviously, not me!

The Nissan Fiche does actually list 3 sets of part numbers for each side of 280zx rear control arms. Maybe 2 early and 1 late?

I just need to know exactly what mo/yr 280zx has control arms like the ones I already have.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best,

-Kurt

I'm going to hazard a guess and say that the arms with the bolt on caliper bracket aren't 280ZX arms. Every one I've seen has had arms like your second set with the welded on caliper bracket.

They could be Maxima or R30 Skyline or something similar?

I'm going to hazard a guess and say that the arms with the bolt on caliper bracket aren't 280ZX arms. Every one I've seen has had arms like your second set with the welded on caliper bracket.

They could be Maxima or R30 Skyline or something similar?

Well, the control arm stampings looks exactly like the 280zx arms.

And the cast thick flange w/ the 4 bolt holes that the disc brake mount bracket bolts to looks factory.

The brackets look factory too.

But it IS possible the prev owner/fab guy "made these up" just for this car.

Maybe it's a hodge-podge of 280zx/Maxima/??? parts? Who knows!

I was told they were 280zx arms, so that's what I thought they were.

I'm off work tomorrow and I'll be hitting the yards.

Rumor has it I should be looking at Infiniti M30 rear control arms too.

Anyone else ever seen these? Anyone? Bueller?

Best,

-k

Well, the control arm stampings looks exactly like the 280zx arms.

And the cast thick flange w/ the 4 bolt holes that the disc brake mount bracket bolts to looks factory.

The brackets look factory too.

But it IS possible the prev owner/fab guy "made these up" just for this car.

Maybe it's a hodge-podge of 280zx/Maxima/??? parts? Who knows!

I was told they were 280zx arms, so that's what I thought they were.

I'm off work tomorrow and I'll be hitting the yards.

Rumor has it I should be looking at Infiniti M30 rear control arms too.

Anyone else ever seen these? Anyone? Bueller?

Best,

-k

djz gets the prize.

I think my control arms are actually 1980 1st Gen Maxima rear control arms, which use the same rear brake caliper & rotor as early 280ZX.

The bolt-on disc brake adapter (part #44155-N3202) was nicely pictured in a different Hybridz post:

The big question now is test fitting the 280ZX vs my Maxima setup vs M30 rear control arms to see how interchangeable they actually are.

Then I get to see which is the best set to rebuild.

-k

Kurt, your best bet would be to talk to the original builder of your car, those guys up in Oregon. They would know. They built the thing. No sense in guessing when you could just ask the builder. Right?

Thanks wagon jon. I did ask them.

They thought they were 1980 280zx arms. But now I know they are 1980 1st gen Maxima arms. Thanks for the suggestion.

Best,

-k

I believe only the 83 and 84 first generation maximas had that setup.

I think I remember that the maxima swingarm shock mounts were slightly differnt height compared to the 280zx.

Mine did and I used 280-zxt axles and a 200sx turbo diff mount to fit a R200.

Of course.....the infiniti M30 also has that setup though the diff. flange is a about 5/8 inch longer but you can swap on other R200 flanges.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe only the 83 and 84 first generation maximas had that setup.

I think I remember that the maxima swingarm shock mounts were slightly differnt height compared to the 280zx.

Mine did and I used 280-zxt axles and a 200sx turbo diff mount to fit a R200.

Of course.....the infiniti M30 also has that setup though the diff. flange is a about 5/8 inch longer but you can swap on other R200 flanges.

I've heard that early Maxima vs 280zx vs Infiniti M30 rear control arms have slightly different shock mount heights, but haven't been able to confirm. My Maxima vs 280zx shock mounts appear to be the same height, just a slightly different angle.

This is all going under my 510 w/ R180 cLSD and WCR CV axles. I may be changing to M30 rear control arms, spherical bearing bushings and z31 5lug hubs w/ 280zx 4 bolt flanges. We'll see, as it might take some mixing/matching to get things just right. Thanks for the input.

Best,

-k