HybridZ

240Z fenders on a 280ZX?

Guest potterma

Guest potterma

In the eternal quest for weight savings and "making a 280ZX look like a 240Z" I'm thinking about getting a set of 240Z fenders and replacing the newer, heavier 280ZX pieces. Is the width difference betyween the two cars too extreem to make this an "easy do?"

Thanks for the feedback!

Follow up note on the question of building a lighter 280ZX performance body.

At my shop I have the original fiberglass molds for Frank Leary's white and green IMSA style 280ZX race car. At this point the molds are becoming pretty aged, even bent out of shape on some molds, but if someone could resurrect these molds, they'd produce one hell'va dramatic looking hybrid ZX car and save you a lot weight as well. The front nose/air dam piece alone is quite dramatic and somewhat similar to the front look of Terry Oxendale's car.

All total there are 7 pieces to the mold set. 1 front nose/air dam (in good condition) and 2 each of the R & L sides for huge, integrated, front and rear flared fenders and door skins.

If you go to zhome.com or do a search for Frank Leary's Nissan racing history on the internet, you might find a photo showing how cool his IMSA race car looked made from these molds. Sorry to say, i do not have a photo in my archives that I can easily find to display here or I would have.

I do not have the knowledge to assess whether these mold can be re-used or not, but please, if you don't have fiberglass experience, don't even entertain the idea of messing with these. Only competent, experienced, fiberglass workers should even bother to inquire.

If some of you think you qualify and are willing to pay a reasonable price, I'd be willing to entertain serious offers

Also, I prefer that buyer be local (but am flexible) and able to inspect in person because I do not want to ship these large parts nor mislead anyone as to there potential for reuse.

I can be reached at eric@zparts.com

510-233-2624

Guest Anonymous

Dan, if you would loan Potterma your red handled crescent wrench he might have a chance in adapting the 240 fenders to the ZX body and I have some really good ideas for Jeep tailights for your car since you might not like my horse trailer light coversion. on a serious note, I bonded full Jim Cook Racing fenders to the Origin convertible cap. I will block out the upper vents on the fenders and the rear out lets. I bought this big sheet of fiberglass from a fiberglass shop and bonded a full panel across the rear of fenders and convertible cap giving one big flat expanse to work with for lights and recesses. I need you to finish your rear end so I can copy it. Quit arguing with Eric and follow his suggestions and get it done. I am on a roll since I got a new crescent wrench. I have been trying to weld with it to expand the versatility

Tee Zee, arguing with Eric is 2nd favorite hobby. :D

Besides, progress is being made on the taillight endavor, albeit slowly. And I have been listening. If you want to copy what I'm doing a flat panel will do you no good. When I'm done the topography back there will be more severe than stock.

Need to hit the JY's again before much more can be done though. Donna said the pick & pull in Stockton is a real toy store. Anybody know where it's located?