HybridZ

260Z Rear Sway Bar - What Will If Fit???

Hi all - I have this bar for sale in the sale section of the forum. It is from an early 1974 260Z.

The main question here is "What cars will this work on?". I know that it will work on 260-280 cars, but need to confirm if it will work on the 240's that have the factory bracket locations.

I know that it will not fit early cars due top the lack of brackets installed. But, is there also an issue with how it fits the early R180 rears due to the lower diff mount? Example: Early 240's have the R180 with the straight lower diff mount. Will this only work on 240's with the curved/extended diff mounts?

I hope this makes sense! Thanks in advance for the clarification!

Tim

post-4001-005125300 1287000805_thumb.jpg

post-4001-062842000 1287000819_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

That bar is referred to as the 280 bar. It will only fit the "late" 260 and all '75-'78 280 cars. Body mount for that bar is cantilevered forward of the frame rail structure.

The early 260 bar has a dogleg in it where it attaches to the body, (see pic). The early 260 and even the '73 240-Z have rear sway bar mounts directly under the frame structure vs cantilevered forward of it as on the late 260 and '75-'78 280-Z. The '73 240 came with the mounts on the car, just no bar so the early 260 bar is direct bolt on for the '73 240, (I seem to recall that some if not all the '72's also have that mount? I could be wrong...)

In short, that bar will fit late 260 and all 280 cars.

I have Z's here with both style mount brackets on them, I'll try and get pics. :wink:

Earlyrearbar.jpg

• Administrators

Here are pics of both style mounts.

I am not sure what the cut off is for the early vs late rear mount on the 260. The 260 was the year Nissan used to empty their parts bins of the 240 body components and they did, (either 5 or 7 different plants these cars were being produced in), they would then use the 280 bits. Have seen 260's with the tiny front bumper and large 280 style rear bumper, etc. I would guess there is no cut and dry date, production number etc that would determine early vs late, just have to crawl under the car and see where the rear sway bar mount is attached, on the frame structure or cantilevered forward of it.

EARLY rear bar mount, picture is of a '73 240-Z;

Early.jpg

LATE rear bar mount, picture is of a late '74 260-Z;

Late.jpg

Hope that helps,

Paul

Here are pics of both style mounts.

I am not sure what the cut off is for the early vs late rear mount on the 260. The 260 was the year Nissan used to empty their parts bins of the 240 body components and they did, (either 5 or 7 different plants these cars were being produced in), they would then use the 280 bits. Have seen 260's with the tiny front bumper and large 280 style rear bumper, etc. I would guess there is no cut and dry date, production number etc that would determine early vs late, just have to crawl under the car and see where the rear sway bar mount is attached, on the frame structure or cantilevered forward of it.

EARLY rear bar mount, picture is of a '73 240-Z;

Early.jpg

LATE rear bar mount, picture is of a late '74 260-Z;

Late.jpg

Hope that helps,

Paul

Excellent! Thank you Paul! The bar I have was definitely from the earlier style mount. Your information is perfect!

Thanks again!

Tim