HybridZ

older Toyota l6?

Owen C.

I was curious if anyone has done anything with the older 6s out of the early supras or cresida (sp? ) I'm still thinking about what powerplant I want for my 240. I want something somewhat cheap and always liked the look of the dohc six. I know I could go with something more modern but somehing I can pull out of a junkyard for a few huno sounds more appealing.

The engine is a 7MGTE, I have read about a few swaps on here. There is also a youtube video of someone killing a ferrari in one.

Just do a search on the above and you will find plenty of info.

Now that's a video I've got to see. Someone somehow inside of a 7MGTE engine who is murdering a member of Enzo's progeny? That sounds both horrifying and amazing! :)

There really does need to be a smiley that just signifies sarcasm.

I was curious if anyone has done anything with the older 6s out of the early supras or cresida (sp? ) I'm still thinking about what powerplant I want for my 240. I want something somewhat cheap and always liked the look of the dohc six. I know I could go with something more modern but somehing I can pull out of a junkyard for a few huno sounds more appealing.

I actually think you are talking about the 5MG..which are OK engines but for the effort I would much rather modify the L

That is Clifton's old car, he was a VERY well respected member on here and I had the pleasure of meeting him at the Datsun MSA show a few years ago...great guy..amazingly talented...a true inspiration to us, but sadly no longer with us.

• 3 months later...

the 5M-GE came in 1984 to 88 cressidas as well as MK2 supras, and was later replaced with the 7MGE. The GTE version was only available in the Supra.

They're supposed to be fairly simple swaps, but Karl (another 7M swapped member) told me last night that particular care should be taken in regards to the chassis and suspension. If you do the swap, the 7M would be great, as long as you took care of their factory issues, such as the head gasket (simple fix) and oiling issues (another simple fix). These are the only two major problems that 7Ms face, and as I said, they're simple to fix.