HybridZ

1972 240z all original project car

Purchased my new project 1972 240z, no idea the last time it had actually started or had driven before. The last owner before me had not started, driven or even registered it for years, how many truly unknown. I am the second owner of this car, I still have yet to go to the DMV and change the original 1972 title to my name. This z still has the original 1972 dealer options paper in the original dealer folder. A gem in the rough all original except for the wheels and tires(good and bad thing). This is the first 240z I have seen with the original bright orange paint under the carpet on the floor boards and in the spare tire compartment unbelieveable potential in this restoration. The car's topcoat paint is a mixed primer and lots of wet sanding has been done so its pretty much cosmetics and a paint job and this all original 240z will be an auction block hero. Ok now for the problems: Put fresh gasoline in the tank, used an electric fuel pump to purge out all the bad gas into a gas can until it ran with fresh gas, reconnected it to the mechanical fuel pump and successfully the engine started. Warmed and ran the engine for around 30 minutes until it reached a nice steady 800 rpm idle, I then figured why not take it for a spin around my property..... Well that ended up being a mistake.... I put the car in reverse, drove backwards successfully, touched the brake, put it into first gear and the rear wheels would not move, they are locked and the brake pedal went to the floor and stayed there. There was still plenty of brake fluid in the master cylinder. I believe the brake drum cylinders actuated once and locked into position probably due to the many years it sat and did not drive or apply brakes. Any ideas on how to remove the stuck brake drums without totally damaging the rest of the connecting components? How many of you have experienced this great stroke of luck? Cheers, Matt

I had the same issue with one of my Z's - one drum would always stick to the hub (it did this for 2 or 3 drums IIRC). I wound up cutting the drum off with an angle grinder because I couldn't find a pulley large enough to pull the stuck drum.

Cut vertically from the hub and wedge a chisel in the hole and try to crack the drum off. I didn't damage anything with mine. Just remember to sand the inside of the drum hub so it doesn't stick again (assuming this is where it is stuck).

Also if this is truely an original car - the rear drums will be aluminum. You can only buy cast iron ones from auto stores now - so go check out your local salvage yards and hope you get lucky.

~Good luck

Also - you a navy man (being in Fallon)?

Edited by Moltar

I had the same issue with one of my Z's - one drum would always stick to the hub (it did this for 2 or 3 drums IIRC). I wound up cutting the drum off with an angle grinder because I couldn't find a pulley large enough to pull the stuck drum.

Cut vertically from the hub and wedge a chisel in the hole and try to crack the drum off. I didn't damage anything with mine. Just remember to sand the inside of the drum hub so it doesn't stick again (assuming this is where it is stuck).

Also if this is truely an original car - the rear drums will be aluminum. You can only buy cast iron ones from auto stores now - so go check out your local salvage yards and hope you get lucky.

~Good luck

Also - you a navy man (being in Fallon)?

I retired from the Navy 2 years ago. Here are some pictures of the new project 240z.

post-3894-070027800 1287512634_thumb.jpg

post-3894-013535400 1287512678_thumb.jpg

post-3894-017994900 1287512700_thumb.jpg

post-3894-082019800 1287512721_thumb.jpg

post-3894-067208300 1287512822_thumb.jpg

post-3894-012411700 1287512846_thumb.jpg

post-3894-007440900 1287512891_thumb.jpg

post-3894-051972700 1287512938_thumb.jpg

post-3894-011093000 1287512986_thumb.jpg