HybridZ

ignition wiring ID help(msd)

twogees

crazy wiring. Trying to get a grip on what the PO has going on. i have a 79zx. my car was stripped down 2 years ago with the idea it was gonna get re wired and mS control spark. well that didn't happen and now my car has had to go from just a block to complete again in the last 2 weeks. i am anxious to drive it again but was left with a rats nest of wires and splices to make you cringe. Alot of stuff wasn't labeled for as i say i was planning on putting a whole new MS harness and get rid of the msd btm. most evrythign was obvious but theres a few things i cant get my finger on. Ive searched for ever for someone with a set up like mine and cant seem to come up with it. There's some transformer or whatever it is. I cant figure out what it is for the life of me. Here's a pic of the box i am talking about and the mess...

miscoct2010029.jpg

miscoct2010026.jpg

miscoct2010028.jpg

miscoct2010027.jpg

miscoct2010013.jpg

the box is plugged directly to the btm by way of harness w purple,green wires. So there's the blue wire and a b/w switched power wire coming from the car. the blue wire t's off from car to one to the bottom left connection on the ?box. the other one to the dist. now the b/w wire branches off 4 ways,1- to the bottom right on the ?box..2- to switched power on the msd btm. 3- to the condenser thing then that is connected to the spade off the vac adv. 4-then turns into a brown wire and heads to the other spade on the dist. I don't have the factory plug so I need to make sure the blue and brown goes on the distributor ic unit on the right side. Now with the key on,and everything hooked up, i have switched power in the blue and b/w..Is that right? wires are going everywhere and i just need to redo this right once and for all and i need some insight please. im trying to get some signal to the msd and need to confirm i have this right. I also use the tach sig from the msd to control my inj in MS, so those arnt firing either till i get this figured out. Then i can gander that it is a bad dist.I hope that's all this is. It worked when i parked it but it fell one day and that must have broken it inside I'm guessing. The magnets are cracked and the continuity was changing when the red, green wires were jiggled, indicating possibility of a short from the pkup.Does all that sound right? im still learning and just trying to get a better understanding of whats going on with my particular car. It needs to be mobile asap. I don't have a working car and I'm moving very soon. thanks-ben

Edited by twogees