HybridZ

painting chrome..any special way?

Guest bigjim240z

Guest bigjim240z

ok..i have some early 240z bumpers that i just welded up all the holes and smoothed them out near perfect...the chrome is there but not shiny..well i decided since its a small fortune to rechrome them i might as well paint them the same color as the car while im painting the car..so..do i need to do anything special to the chrome to make sure the paint sticks?..maybe just scuff up the chrome and shoot them with primer prior to painting?

Guest Anonymous

Sounds like a question for Racer X. I understand that sand blasted chrome can be powder coated but you might have trouble matching the powder coat color to your car color. There is this powder coat called "near chrome" that can be polished but remains "near chrome" in brilliance.

Guest Anonymous

I suspect that silver molding around the windows is stainless steel which may require an etching or sand blast for color to stick.Too thin for much material torture. A could black tape layed over it and carefully trimmed may last a lot longer

On one of the recent MSA catalogs (before the newest one I believe) there is a red Z with the chrome trim blacked out...

I'm still liking the idea of doing that, and then having the center section of my wheels powdercoated black and leaving the outer section polished...

And now, for some reason, I wonder how my car would look with a cowl hood...

Will it ever stop?