HybridZ

No keys, need help opening hatch.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a slight problem. I just bought a '78 280Z and am wanting to start my resto on it. But when I bought it, the owner did not have any keys to the car (car had sit for a few years in storage, but he lost the keys, but does have title), so I will have to re-key the entire car. But, as of right now, I do not have a key to get into the hatch, or open it. Does anyone have any tricks or ideas on how I can get the hatch open w/o damaging anything. Or am I gonna have to call on a locksmith. Thanks in advance for the help, this site has been alot of help in my decision to buy this car.

Ben

Guest VertexZ

security and rear hatch lock are not two phrases you'd use in the same sentence.

any 1st gen Z key should open the hatch, or heaps of other keys. My 83 Corona key opened the rear hatch smile.gif

just try a few keys and you'll get it, or remove the interior trim panel and you should be able to flick the lock

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the help. I am 6'2" 200lbs and not very limber and a little clostrophobic (spelling?) so I am not too keen on trying to squeeze into the hatch to take the panel off. Plus the car was sitting in storage for a few years, and the guy who I bought it from foreclosed on it while it was in his storage, so I am not sure what I might find back there once I am squeezed into it. So, I will try the key method first. If that doesn't work, then I'll try for removing the panel. Thanks guys.

Ben

First, check the inside of your glovebox door and make sure there isn't a sticker with a number written in pen on it. If there is and it's still legible, you can take that number to a locksmith and they can cut you a key that will fit as good as new. DAW

You'ld be surprised just how often a key from one car will work on a lock on another car.

When I was younger-my Dad had an International Travelall; the ignition key to that Truck fit many other Internationals that he had & even a few GM veh's that he had.

We had a family trucking business-so Dad never threw away that key-still think to this day he has it somewhere.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Guest Anonymous

Just about every carless tweeker in this area has a slightly filed down Datsun key for joy ride excursions. My friend Ocbaar had his 260 stolen twice with one of these universal keys by a crank induced addict.....