HybridZ

Which floorpans?

Guest bluex_v1

Guest bluex_v1

After many hours with a screw driver, i came to the conclusion that my floorpans are done for. (I even found a small ant colony living in the rust and tar in one of the corners) The subframes could probably have been saved, but I figured if I'm going this far I might as well run the tubing full length from front to rear.

So I see the MSA and Zedd Findings pans look identical (http://web.ctsolutions.com/zeddfind/FLOORS1B.JPG) but my transmission tunnel is obviously not as straight as these replacements appear to be made for. Is it understood that you are supposed to just tack them in and beat the hell out of them until they conform properly?

Also, is that the difference between these two and MSA's "premium floor pan kit"?

I am also considering doing a copy of Pete Paraska's floor/frame integration and just build the tubing structure and then cut my own sheets to fill the spaces...If I do this, what gauge metal should I use? would I need to pound some channels in it for strength?

Any other suggestions or options that I should be aware of? (I have a MIG welder and plenty of time to use)

Thanks!

Guest Anonymous

Holy crap MSA wants 85 bucks PER SIDE for their floorpan!? They can keep them, make your own for like 15 bucks, or go to a junkyard and find a decent hood and cut the desired piece. I believe 12 gauge is the way to go (am i wrong guys?). Personally, mine are going to be soldered in when i get around to making them. Good luck by the way.

Here is what I have learned after two weekends of cutting and welding. I bought the less expensive MSA kit and at least 5% of the spot welds were not intact (So check each weld). I cannot recommend their workmanship but the fit is good. My car had rust damage where the pans go up to become the firewall, so we had to install new steel in addition to the pans (Too many welds). My friend works for a dealership so he is doing most of the work and he keeps telling me we should have made our own pans. I can send you the instructions and some pictures if necessary. Good Luck!

Guest jdllaugh

I'm in the process of replacing my floors, also. I plan to use 18 guage sheet. (12 is waaay to thick.) I bought a 4x8 sheet for $25 at a local steel supply.

I'm having an internal debate whether to put in one large sheet per side and tack weld the subframe member to the bottom of the sheet, or put in the subframe member first and then weld pieces of sheet on either side, similar to what Pete Paraska did.

I've heard good things about Zedd floors, but my rust also goes up the firewall and trans tunnel walls a bit, so I figured I would have to do serious modifications anyway. Plus I want to put in heavier subframe members than those that come with the Zedd floors. It's all going to get covered up with carpet and under-body coating anyway...

I've started building a web site and hope to document some of my steps.

Please do not solder your floor pans. Hopefully you were just kidding.

12 ga is pretty thick, but I dunno, I think 18 ga is too thin. I mean, if you're gonna go to the trouble of making and installing new floors, you really oughtta use at least 16ga. Otherwise, you're basically going back to stock (although even 18 is much thicker than original). I used 14ga for my floors and I'm glad I did. I found a local place that cut and folded the metal for me (and actually 14ga is the thinnest sheet they carry) for about $25.

Guest Anonymous

I lucked out in that all my frames and subframes are rust free. All that i would need to do is get the sheetmetal and solder it the pan. looks like the previous owner had some sense and got undercoating beforehand. I didnt realize so many people had tranny tunnel rust ( puke.gif ), i thought my car was a rust bucket but now i consider myself lucky!! rockon.gif

If you're replacing your floors due to rust, then your floor supports are probably rusted as well. So, they will have to be replaced.

You have to weld the supports to the floors and the forward frame rails to the supports. This is structural. Unless you've got some kind of elaborate, hi tech, mega soldering process in mind. Solder is fine for surface sheet metal that is cosmetic: fenders, cowls, etc. But on a unibody car, the floors are stressed to some degree. Especially when you put a hipo motor up front.

Besides, I can't imagine soldering being easier than welding. You have to have a tight overlap of <I>very</I> clean metal. I could see spot welding or stitch welding the materials together, and then soldering in the rest of the seam. But I can't see why this would be desirable or efficient. A lap joint welded on both sides will not corrode - as long as there are no "holes" in the seam(s) for water vapor to enter. Plus it is <B>very</B> strong.